On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Joe Zimmerman
<joe.zimmerman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:41 AM, John Dong <jd...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>
>> > It's familiar, and when something stalls it's suddenly not familiar.
>> > I don't have to care WHAT it's doing, just as long as it's doing
>> > something, and telling me what it's doing.  Apple used to do this in
>> > System 7 and System 8 at least by showing icons during boot,
>> > signifying what part of the boot process it was currently in.
>> There is no "part" of bootup progress anymore. Everything happens together
>> in parallel as long as its dependencies are met, and can be arbitrary order
>> during bootup. IO traffic in an unrelated bootup job can cause a seemingly
>> small other job to "stall".

That's a scheduling bug.  Also it's possible to animate them such that
they graph their own dependencies but that would be rather excessive
and non-obvious to random people.

>> It's not at all surprising that non-linear booted OS'es like OS X 10.4+,
>> Ubuntu with Upstart, Windows 2000+, etc do not attempt to show a linear
>> progress bar.
>
> Why not show a panel of greyed-out icons at the bottom of the screen, one
> for each major component, and light up each icon as the corresponding
> component is initialized? This would reflect the correct abstraction (and if
> the icons had captions, users would have some idea of what was wrong if the
> boot process stalled).

This is correct; however, it'd be easier and more flexible to just
appearify the icons as new tasks begin.  Start blank, and fill the
screen in as you go.