On Sat, 2011-06-25 at 12:21 +0200, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> Ah I like constructive replies.
>
> I should provide you a little background info maybe. Since years
> 64Studio is the most known company when it comes to the delivering of
> (community) distros (and OEM products) optimized for multimedia and
> especially proaudio. First they based there (OEM) products on Debian.
> But because Ubuntu had those LTS releases, they switched to Ubuntu
> instead. They offered the community the 64studio distro, but also made
> products like Indamixx http://www.indamixx.com/
>
> But because of problems with Ubuntu they got back to Debian recently,
> for building the OpenDAW distro, an optimized community distro for music
> production and sound engineering. One of the reasons for this recent
> change was the fact that you can't cleanly remove Pulseaudio from
> Ubuntu. Not only 64Studio suffers from this, but also more small
> projects like Tango Studio.

I don't really understand this need to "remove pulseaudio"
Why remove it?

I'm by no means an expert, but have dabbled with the various audio
production tailored distros, and it seems very possible to use such
systems with Jack as a primary sound server and Pulse feeding into Jack
when needed

KXStudio (which I've used a fair bit), uses Jack2 for it's main sound
server for the low latency audio apps, and provides Pulseaudio for other
"traditional desktop" apps

You can simply use the Jack2 GUI tools to "wire up" the different apps.
Prof. audio apps going directly to Jack2
others (Adobe Flash, for example) going through pulseaudio
Pulseaudio feeding into Jack2

I think your issues stem from this (possibly misguided, but as I said,
I'm no expert) belief that you need to remove pulseaudio

--
Tony Atkinson
Email: tatkinson...@googlemail.com