>Da: dmitrij.led...@ubuntu.com
>On 7 December 2012 22:32, Fabio Pedretti <fabio....@libero.it> wrote:
>> It would be nice if Ubuntu could include zram-config by default. This
package
>> set up compressed RAM swap space and can lower RAM requirements for running
and
>> installing Ubuntu. It should be a win for every configuration. Since kernel
3.8
>> the zram module is out of staging, I am using it since precise with no
problem.

>> The bug request is here:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/zram-config/+bug/381059
>>

>Where necessaries, we already ship and include zram.
>
>E.g. ubuntu nexus7 and ac100 images.
>
>What other images do you want this for? I am not convinced it makes
>much sense on i386/amd64.

1. Traditional swap on hard drive is still used and suggested, zram is a
better alternative and a complement to it, so it may for sure be useful to
everyone who actually use swap on hard drive.
2.  Some derivatives (Lubuntu, Xubuntu) are mainly suggested on systems with
low RAM, in this case one could still use the standard Ubuntu rather than this
alternatives.
3. Not everyone has many GB of RAM, this could help these users. I am
succesfully using it on a iBook PowerPC G4 (768 MB RAM) under Lubuntu and also
on a MacBook Pro with 2 GB RAM (its maximum RAM size) with standard Ubuntu.
Also, for example, see this bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lowmem/+bug/1050595
4. Also look at the project page http://code.google.com/p/compcache/ :
"The usual argument I get is - memory is so cheap so why bother with
compression? So I list here some of the use cases. Rest depends on your
imagination :)
 * Netbooks: Market is now getting flooded with these "lightweight laptops".
These are memory constrained but have CPU enough to drive on compressed memory
(e.g. Cloudbook features 1.2 GHz processor!).
* Virtualization: With compcache at hypervisor level, we can compress any part
of guest memory transparently - this is true for any type of Guest OS (Linux,
Windows etc.). This should allow running more number of VMs for given amount of
total host memory.
* Embedded Devices: Memory is scarce and adding more memory increases device
cost. Also, flash storage suffers from wear-leveling issues, so its useful if
we can avoid using them as swap device."
5. If you followed lkml you'll see that it's co-developed by Oracle, it's not
only useful for small systems, but it's also useful on modern server
environments. I have a couple of Oracle server with 32 GB, tuned by Oracle's
engeneers, yet they use disk swap. Also on virtualized environment saving RAM
is very useful (especially on VMWare where you pay not only the hardware RAM,
but also the license to use it).
6. Lastly, as already said, it doesn't hurt so even if you have many GB of RAM
the worst thing that can happen is that it make no difference if you never
saturate all your RAM.