hi,
On Mi, 2016-09-28 at 13:00 +0200, Xen wrote:

> I simply think the likelyhood of there actually being a problem with
> the
> Ubuntu package in a Mint system is going to be *very* slim and if it
> existed, more people would experience it, as you have indicated on
> Ubuntu's side.
well, tell that to the developers that spent countless hours on
launchpad trying to verify mint bugs (without knowing mint is
underneath). in LP we have the general rule to send mint users back to
the mint bug tracker/forums etc. which the OP seemingly already
experienced.

> So it just seems more prudent to 'misdirect' this support request on
> the
> grounds of it not being fit for a bug report against a package (ie.
> it
> is just a user support request and should be treated as such first
> before treated as a bug against anything) and not on the grounds that
> it
> is against the wrong distribution; as a user support request it needs
> go to Linux Mint, but if it actually /were/ a package issue (no
> matter
> how slim) it would not be that much of a problem to report it
> against
> Ubuntu. Or Ubuntu-devel-discuss, I mean. It's just that this user is
> wrong, probably, about the nature of the issue -- sorry to offend
> anyone.

well, first of all this is not a support list, it exists because
ubuntu-devel is developers only and there needs to be a forum where
users can discuss development related issues with developers when
needed ...

the support list would be ubuntu-users ...

beyond this how do you know the bug is not caused by a (possibly)
patched libboost, a gtk patch mint applies, held back upgrades or some
weird filesystem mangling the mint installer does ... there are
millions of possibilities you can not take into account without deeply
knowing what mint does. it doesnt matter if it is a packaging problem
or not as long as there is a possibility of something non-standard in
the system causing it. if the mint support can nail it down with
evidence to be an ubuntu problem, then yes, there is no issue at all
with filing it on launchpad.

in general though i was reacting to:

"The last time I tried to report a bug in this package, someone told me
I was in the wrong place. I am not sure how talking to the package
maintainers could be the wrong place!"
"Unless I am mistaken, you are the package maintainers, so it does not
matter what Linux system it is installed on, it should work, right?"

it *does* matter a lot and the way the mint developers picked to create
their distro plays a big role here.

if you picked mint and it broke you simply gotta keep the pieces and
solve it with mint support in the first place ...

ciao
        oli