>On 11 May 2018 at 16:32, Fiedler Roman <roman.fied...@ait.ac.at> wrote:
>> b) Those, who do not want to consume more resources due to ethical
>> considerations (that's the one for me): how many people could fed or
>> how much CO2 prevented, if all systems were some percent smaller on
>> disk/RAM, including IT-system production and operation related
>> resource usage? Wasting resources is also about freedom, as we
>> deprive others who cannot afford them/fight for them in the same way
>> we can do.

As already pointed out by Dimitri, regarding getting a job done, a
modern CPU requires much less power. Actually this could happen by two
different ways. Much more processing power by less power consumption
than an old 32bit computer or by much, much more processing power by
similar high power consumption as an old 32bit computer. Modern
computers are faster, work with causing less heat, require less
voltage, are using faster buses, RAM, CPUs with better instruction sets
etc..

Another point of view are related to computer waste [1], slavery, rare
earths, power consumption to produce new machines, while old machines
might still do the job.

Unfortunately another part to consider is the balance when maintaining
an operating system and apps for a dead architecture. It also requires
resources such as energy consumption, but also resources as wasting time
a maintainer otherwise could use to do volunteer work e.g. by helping
wheelchair users.

[1]
https://www.google.com/search?q=agbogbloshie+images&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQjcyEyIDbAhUEqaQKHRO7BmEQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=919