Hello Russell,

Since I encountered the same issue with you a couple of months before, I think it might help you looking at https://launchpad.net/~kelleyk/+archive/ubuntu/emacs.

Best regards,

Charalampos

On 27/2/23 7:15 PM, Russell Almond wrote:
I'm getting a number of errors when installing emacs packages from the melpa/elpa library.  The elpa library is serving packages that are related to version 28.x of Emacs, but the Ubuntu 22.04 and 22.10 packages are still at 27.1.

This is causing issues which is forcing me to recompile all of the emacs packages I download.

The simplest solution from my perspective would be to bump the Ubuntu emacs package to use version 28 (or add an optional version 28 package).  As version 28 has been around for a year now, it should be stable.

[Flatpack and snap are not options.  The sandboxing causes emacs to behave strangely under flatpak; haven't tried snap.]

Thanks,
  --Russell Almond