On Wednesday, July 13 2022, I wrote:

> * sbcl
>   - As Athos mentioned
>     (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2022-July/042200.html),
>     we're starting to work on bootstrapping sbcl on ppc64el.
>   - Unfortunately we've hit some bumps...  The build is mysteriously
>     segfaulting on ppc64el in a PPA.  So we're investigating things
>     before proceeding with the upload.

I actually forgot to mention a very interesting case that Athos and I
faced while working on the sbcl bootstrap.

The dep8 test for the osicat package was initially failing on amd64 and
blocking sbcl from migrating, so we started checking what could be
happening.  Strangely, the failing test had to do with a check for a
non-existent username in the system; this check (performed using the
'(user-info)' call) was returning a valid user instead of nil.

Neither Athos nor I were able to reproduce this problem locally, even
after trying several incantations when invoking autopkgtest.  I also
tried checking if the problem would manifest on canonistack, to no
avail.  An autopkgtest run against a PPA build also succeeded.  We were
really puzzled by this.

All in all, we spent several hours building and testing the package, and
every time it succeeded.  I performed a no-change upload in the hopes
that rebuilding the package would have an effect on the test result, but
it didn't.  I was running out of ideas (and energy) when, by Monday
night, I started suspecting that the root cause could be the fact that
the trigger list for the failing tests had only sbcl in it.  I decided
to retrigger the test passing sbcl *and* osicat in the trigger list, and
it finally succeeded.

I have absolutely no idea what happened, and I don't have access to
autopkgtest's infrastructure in order to debug the problem.  But I
thought I'd mention this very strange case here just in case someone
faces a similar scenario.

Thanks,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: E92F D0B3 6B14 F1F4 D8E0  EB2F 106D A1C8 C3CB BF14