On Thu, Sep 08, 2022 at 08:46:31PM -0700, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
> Hi Aleix,
>
> On Thursday, September 8, 2022 1:30:02 PM PDT Aleix Pol wrote:
> > Note that Discover is just using PackageKit, so it's a problem to address
> > there.
> >
> > If despite having Discover be "very, very flawed" you want to have a
> > discussion one day about how to make it fit for your purpose, I'll be
> > happy to join and see what can be done.
> >

> That was not meant as an insult to your work, and I'm terribly sorry if it
> arrived that way. Honestly, Discover is a fine piece of software, especially
> as
> a software store and I quite enjoy using it as such. However, I think you're
> right, my observations toward the "very, very flawed" might be better
> directed
> at PackageKit since it doesn't have the capability to do autoremove like I'm
> suggesting for software updates.

It's not hard to implement, it's basically

   bool doAutoRemove = _config->FindB("APT::Get::AutomaticRemove", false);
   bool doAutoRemoveKernels =
_config->FindB("APT::Get::AutomaticRemove::Kernels", false);
   bool hideAutoRemove = _config->FindB("APT::Get::HideAutoRemove");

   std::unique_ptr<APT::CacheFilter::Matcher> kernelAutoremovalMatcher;
   if (doAutoRemoveKernels && !doAutoRemove)
   {
      kernelAutoremovalMatcher =
APT::KernelAutoRemoveHelper::GetProtectedKernelsFilter(Cache, true);
   }

   Cache->MarkAndSweep();

   SortedPackageUniverse Universe(Cache);
   // look over the cache to see what can be removed
   for (auto const &Pkg: Universe)
   {
      if (Cache[Pkg].Garbage)
      {
        if(Pkg.CurrentVer() != 0 || Cache[Pkg].Install())
           if(Debug)
              std::cout << "We could delete " <<  APT::PrettyPkg(Cache, Pkg) <<
std::endl;
        if (doAutoRemove || (kernelAutoremovalMatcher != nullptr &&
(*kernelAutoremovalMatcher)(Pkg)))
        {
           if(Pkg.CurrentVer() != 0 &&
              Pkg->CurrentState != pkgCache::State::ConfigFiles)
              Cache->MarkDelete(Pkg, purgePkgs, 0, false);
           else
              Cache->MarkKeep(Pkg, false, false);
        }

at the right place after calling Upgrade().

Though I don't know maybe it needs the following code bits too where we recover
packages we now have broken.

   // we could have removed a new dependency of a garbage package,
   // so check if a reverse depends is broken and if so install it again.

Probably it makes sense to extract the non-CLI bits of DoAutoremove() in
apt-private
to apt-pkg, so PackageKit and others just have one function to call to do any
autoremovals
that should be done by policy.

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en