On Wed, 2022-11-02 at 15:23:08 +0000, Benjamin Drung wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> adduser 3.123 (in Debian) changed the default mode for normal users
> (DIR_MODE) from 0755 to 0700. The default mode for system user
> (SYS_DIR_MODE) stayed untouched at 0755. See [1] and [2] for a
> reasoning.
>
> Ubuntu on the other hand has been using mode 0750 for normal and system
> users for a long time.
>
> I like to have the same default permissions on Debian and Ubuntu for
> consistency reasons. Can we adopt the default permission from Debian or
> should we start a discussion in Debian to change their DIR_MODE to
> 0750?

I don't see much of a tangible benefit to switching to DIR_MODE=0700 by
default in Ubuntu, however I would not oppose such a change - tighter
permissions generally sounds like a good thing, but I wonder if there
are other use-cases that this may break (and given that this is the
permission for the user's primary group I don't see that is has much of
a tangible difference as in general most users are not members of other
users' primary groups).

Regarding SYS_DIR_MODE, I am not sure I fully understand the reasoning
for this remaining at 0755 - this doesn't seem to be specified in either
the NEWS or README. These seem to only say that there was a desire to
separate the two and have more restrictive permissions for regular users
without affecting system users, but there is no mention of particular
use-cases that would drive this decision.

In the case of Ubuntu, I am not aware of any adverse impact of having
system users default to 0750 so my preference would be to maintain this,
but again I am interested to understand any good reasons why 0755 might
be preferred in this case.