Hey there

On Tue, May 04, 2010, Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:
> I'd like to create a Ubuntu ARM root file system based on the 10.04 LTS
> release using the rootstock tool. The problem is that I'm stuck with my
> current AT91sam9260 processor which only supports ARMv5 (rootstock in
> 9.10 and 10.04 dropped support for it).
>
> What do you think would be the ideal path to follow to get an
> ARMv5-friendly rootstock? I'm ready to put the resources to recompile
> the whole source repository. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be
> very much appreciated.

 So one thing to keep in mind is that rootstock doesn't build the actual
 ARM binaries; it creates *filesystems* from the prebuilt Ubuntu
 packages.  The Ubuntu packages were built for v5 in Ubuntu 9.04, and
 are incompatible with ARMv5 in Ubuntu 9.10 and later.  What you could
 do:
 * use Ubuntu 9.04 packages ("jaunty"); this is getting old and will
   soon be unsupported AIUI
 * use Debian; Debian's armel port is compatible with ARMv4t and above
 * rebuild Ubuntu or wait for someone to provide a rebuild; currently
   this aint easy, but it's on the radar of various people to try to
   provide a tool to allow this; it's not really aimed at ARMv5
   specifically though, and this will take a while to appear/happen

   Hope this helps,
--
Loïc Minier