I'm sad because I always was huge fan of Ubuntu Phone's dedication to open
source. I'm not surprised because they were (in my opinion unnecessarily)
doing too much and going too much against the grain considering where rest
of Linux ecosystem was headed, and it was clear that this kind of approach
would cost quite much in monetary sense and couldn't go on.. I'm personally
unaffected, because the choices Ubuntu Touch made were for me personally
untenable, and I always considered SailfishOS a better fit for my usage
patterns and for my ideology of how a phone OS should behave.

So where to go next, I personally recommend checking out SailfishOS. They
will have a release during summer for Sony Xperia X, keep an eye out for
that.