Thanks for the responses.

I'm only able to work this an hour or so here and there, so it
may take awhile to reach my goal.

Yesterday and today I tried to get an external disk mounted via
USB on the M10. No joy. I tried 2,3 and 4TB disks. I have a
special cable that connects to the M10's USB port and has a
female standard USB on the other side. I've tried connecting
a disk direct to this; I have also instead connected a USB
hub to that and then plugged the drive into the hub.

I know the hub is working because I have a keyboard and mouse
on it and the M10 recognizes them. However, it does not appear
to even notice the drives are there. Nothing shows up in /dev/sd*
other than the onboard sda; unfortunately there is no lsusb
command available so I have not yet figured out how to check
to see if the USB subsystem even sees it. I'm sure one of the
/proc files has the info and I will look tomorrow.

Every disk I have tried 'lights up', so they are at least
getting powered by the M10.

Any suggestions? I know this works if you get the cables right
because I had it working a year ago. Unfortunately something
important is missing from my notes because I am unable (so far)
to replicate.