In the case of an SRU using some kind of exception to bump to a newer
upstream version (whether that's a microrelease, a feature changing
major release or a backport of something) we can end up with:

1. Some kind of tracking bug that explains the exception, for which the
SRU team agrees a QA process that doesn't require SRU verification of
individually fixed bugs.

2. Some bugs that we're tracking in Launchpad that nevertheless will be
fixed by the upload, but don't actually need individual verification
because of the previous point.

I've seen some inconsistency in how these are handled by SRU team
members. I think we could save effort all round by clarifying this.

Some options are:

1) Require that the second class of bugs are not referenced in a way
that results them ending up in Launchpad-Bugs-Fixed. This way the
pending-sru report won't mention them, and the SRU team won't expect
them to be verified.

1b) Reference them but hack Launchpad-Bugs-Fixed to remove them again
before signing and uploading.

2) Reference them normally but then require or expect that the bugs are
verified anyway, even though that's not strictly necessary because of
the agreed QA process as part of the exception.

3) Reference them normally but then just mark them
verification-done-<series> with an explanation that individual
verification wasn't necessary as part of the exception.

The downside of 1 is that they we don't get the auto-close function and
we're effectively providing wrong metadata for the sake of an
unnecessarily rigid SRU process. Except in the case of 1b, developers
and users investigating the changelog won't get the benefit of the
missing references. For 1b it's only automation that is likely to
suffer from that latter issue.

The downside of 2 is that this creates unnecessary extra work for
uploaders.

The downside of 3 is that this could be confusing initially, except that
hopefully the explanation will help? It's certainly obtuse regardless.

IMHO, 3 is the least-worst option.

Thoughts?

Robie