On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 10:37:25 AM PDT Jeremy Bícha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I co-maintain the GNU Image Manipulation Program app (GIMP) in Debian.
> After years of development, the upstream developers have announced
> that they are on target for a Release Candidate of the new 3.0 version
> by the end of 2023, although not necessarily in time for 23.10.
>
> 3.0 has a huge number of changes beyond switching from GTK2 to GTK3
> including dark themes, partial CMYK support, etc. I would not expect
> 2.10.x plugins to continue to work since the plugin system has been
> overhauled.
>
> I think GIMP 3.0 or a Release Candidate would be appreciated in Ubuntu
> 24.04 LTS. Therefore, I propose that we switch to the latest beta
> build 2.99.16 for Ubuntu 23.10 now. I am emailing this list because
> the decision affects multiple Ubuntu desktop flavors since the app is
> included by default in Edubuntu, Ubuntu Cinnamon, Ubuntu Studio, and
> Xubuntu.
>
> References
> --------------
> https://www.gimp.org/news/2023/06/29/wilber-week-2023/
> https://www.gimp.org/news/2023/07/09/gimp-2-99-16-released/
> https://developer.gimp.org/core/roadmap/#gimp-30-development-branch-roadmap
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/milestones/3
>
> Thank you,
> Jeremy Bícha

I have a couple of different interests here. Jeremy had emailed me separately
and
asked what my opinion would be here and I have stated my support for this with
my Ubuntu Studio hat on. Separately, I spoke with Amy (CC'd) on this matter and
she gave her support.

Having carried a beta of digiKam in 23.04's Ubuntu Studio release with no real
complaints (and even a git snapshot in 22.10), a Release Candidate of GIMP
seems
very benign all things considered. After all, this is a snapshot of what may
actually
become the final release, so I would expect it to be highly representative of
what we
would expect in 3.0.

Giving that perspective to Amy, she agreed that Edubuntu would be on-board as
well. Therefore, from both Ubuntu Studio and Edubuntu, we have no issue with
Jeremy's proposal and give our support.

--
Erich Eickmeyer
Project Leader - Ubuntu Studio