Hi Rafael,

On Fri, Sep 01, 2023, Rafael Lopez wrote:
> Hi Adrien,
>
> I added some results to LP#2009544 for your consideration, including tests
> on mantic and lunar.
>
> I also tested a couple of good-looking patches in addition to PR#18151 [1].
> Summary below, see LP for detailed results and PPAs with patches.
>
> PR#18151 + PR#17881 [2] - up to ~2x improvement over [1]
> PR#18151 + PR#17921 [3] - up to ~2.5x improvement over [1]
> PR#18151 + PR#17881 [2] + PR#17921 [3] - up to ~4x improvement over [1]
> (based on user CPU time)
>
> PR#17921 [3] might be a good candidate to SRU in addition to [1] at some
> stage. It is a moderate change in Jammy as there are a number of
> pre-requisite patches including refactoring. However, all said
> pre-requisites are merged into 3.0 branch upstream and already included in
> both Lunar and Mantic (you can cleanly cherry pick PR#17921 for those). The
> performance increase is noticeable. [3] itself is not merged to 3.0
> upstream even though the pre-reqs are, see [4] for a comment on this. Seems
> to fit what you described regarding upstream (not) backporting performance
> patches into 3.0. It is merged into 3.1.
>
> PR#17881 [2] also brings noticeable improvement, though less, and has
> nearly all the pre-reqs in 3.0 (and mantic/lunar). Looks like one [5] is
> missing which was not backported to the 3.0 branch, though it is in 3.1.
>
> I haven't analysed the patches in any detail, wanted to see if they were
> worth the effort performance wise first.
>
> Rafael
>
> [1] https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/18151
> [2] https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/17881
> [3] https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/17921
> [4] https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/20421#issuecomment-1457743122
> [5] https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/6127

Thanks a lot for digging into this.

I thought a bit about the best way forward and I came up with three or
four big steps:

1- SRU [1] to Jammy in addition to bugfixes
2- Include [2] and [3] in the next Ubuntu release (also next LTS)
   Per policy these cannot go straight into an SRU I think. Moreover
   there are a lot of patches already for Jammy which can make resolving
   conflict more difficult and error-prone, and while [3] from
   openssl-3.1 applies almost completely cleanly, [2] doesn't.
3- After OO is released, SRU [2] and [3] to Jammy
4- Bonus: SRU the same version as OO to Jammy (_maybe_ it will make more
   sense to skip step 3 but I can't predict it)

Unfortunately we have to wait until the OO release for [2] and [3].

I've created a PPA for step 1 at
https://launchpad.net/~adrien-n/+archive/ubuntu/openssl-jammy-sru . It
should be ready besides last-minute debian/changelog fixes (trimming an
entry and removing ~ppa*, and triple-checking the version number).

I need to trigger as many autopkgtests in the PPA as I can fit, which is
something I intend to do this evening and/or over the week-end but I'm
pretty confident.

--
Adrien