Hello! Sorry for the delayed response.

On Mon, Jan 8 2024 at 12:23:56 +0100, Christian Ehrhardt <christian.ehrha...@canonical.com> wrote:
Hi,
after formerly (pre 2018) people often reporting issues of not having an LTS that could work fully well with the latest VMware we have, now for more than five years, done regular backports of open-vm-tools. But a recent misunderstanding between Steve and myself has identified that we missed to put this down clearly enough as a properly approved "special case".

To be fair - In the past, AFAIK, we have not always done/needed such exceptions for things that go to SRU under "other safe cases" [1], but this case is not so much "safe" as more "a usually accepted kind of risk for platform enablement". And since it caused misunderstanding let us document this now, to avoid the same misunderstanding to happen again in the future.

Hence I've created [2] as a wiki page documenting this case.
I would now ask the SRU team for a review, discussion and hopefully eventually sign-off to acknowledge this case and add its link to the known special cases [3].

This broadly looks sensible, and open-vm-tools is a reasonable (virtual)-HWE case.

I've taken the liberty of reorganising the wiki page to stick a "Process" section up the top, and added some extra process verbiage. Please take a look and check that what I've moved around and added still makes sense and captures what you need.

There's an open question there, too - at what point after (or before?) a release do we first consider a backport of the open-vm-tools package?