On Thu, Jan 18 2024 at 11:21:18 -0500, Sergio Durigan Junior <sergi...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
On Thursday, January 18 2024, Christopher James Halse Rogers wrote:

 On Wed, Jan 17 2024 at 21:09:58 -0500, Sergio Durigan Junior
 <sergi...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
On Wednesday, January 17 2024, Christopher James Halse Rogers wrote:

  Hi there!
 Hey, Chris,
 Thanks for the review.

  On Sat, Jan 13 2024 at 00:08:35 -0500, Sergio Durigan Junior
  <sergio.duri...@canonical.com> wrote:
  Hello,
  In the same spirit as Christian's formal request for an SRU
  exception
for open-vm-tools, Athos and I would like to formally request the
  approval of the PostgreSQL MRE wiki page.
  We (the Server team) have been doing such MREs for a number of
 years
now, but it came to our attention recently that we don't actually
 have
the MRE policy for PostgreSQL formally defined in a wiki page, as
 is
  usual for more recent packages.
  I don't know much about the history behind why such page doesn't
  exist,
  but we would like to fix it by proposing the following document:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PostgreSQLUpdates
  It looks like a good documentation of current practice, and
 current
  practice looks (mostly) good.
  A couple of questions:
  * Checking the PostgreSQL policy, they say that a pg_dump/restore
    cycle between minor updates is *normally* not needed. Has it
 *ever*
    been needed in the past? Presumably we would not take such an
 update
    (at least, not under this MRE)?
Athos and I have been doing this MRE for a bit more than a year now,
 and
 so far we have never seen a situation where a pg_dump/restore cycle
 was
 needed.  I'm Cc'ing Christian, who used to handle the MREs before
 us, in
 case he knows something more.

  * I notice a number of the updates are of the form “Fix FROB
 index. If
you have any FROB indexes, you must run FROBINATE REINDEX to get
 the
fixes”. How do we notify users of this? It's in the changelog,
 which
    is not nothing, and a debconf notice would be *way* too
    disruptive. Is there anywhere else we should be pushing such
 “you
    really should check this” notifications?
 That's a good question.  My default answer for such scenarios tends
be "let's put it in a d/NEWS file", but I appreciate the fact that not
 everybody will have apt-listchanges installed.  Nonetheless, maybe
 that's a good compromise between having the entries buried in the
 changelog vs. having a debconf notice.  WDYT?

 Ooooh, yes. d/NEWS would definitely be an improvement!

Cool.

Just to clarify: does this mean that this request is approved pending
the d/NEWS addition to the wiki page?

I'd like an answer to the other question before approving - what happens if a pg_dump/pg_restore cycle *is* required across a minor update. Presumably the answer is “that update will not fall under this MRE”, but we should document both that decision and how we expect to pick up when this would apply.

Once that has a satisfactory answer, yes, it looks good to approve to me.

Cheers,
Chris