On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 02:02:15AM -0800, Simon Chopin wrote:
> Hi Release Team,

> It seems we have a few big transitions either in progress (perl,
> python) or about to start in the coming weeks (php, armhf 64bit time_t).
> My original plans for glibc would add fuel to that fire, as I projected
> to upload it to -proposed in about 2 weeks.

You use the past tense here;
https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/noble-numbat-release-schedule/35649 shows
glibc 2.39 for this week.  Did this projection change, and in which
direction?

FWIW I've just added 64-bit time_t onto the page, estimating that it will
start to happen next week.  There are some externalities there not directly
under our control, specifically the timing of the upload of dpkg to unstable
and the analysis of the uploads to experimental (which are currently in
progress) with respect to usrmerge.  I had asked about making sure the perl
and python transitions complete before 64-bit time_t lands in noble, because
I don't want these to overlap; and my intention is to turn off Debian
autosyncs if necessary until perl and python migrate.  But I don't think
there's the same concern about glibc (it's just a new upstream version with
new symbols rather than a transition), so I'm not going to argue for
postponing either glibc 2.39 or 64-bit time_t to avoid entanglement.

> A possible way to reduce the friction introduced by a new glibc verison
> would be to delay it until after Feature Freeze: fewer packages would
> pick up the new symbols and thus wouldn't get blocked waiting for the
> glibc rdeps autopkgtests to clear.

> I can see a couple of downsides to that approach:

> * Fewer packages would pick the new ABIs, which presumably bring in some
>   sort of improvement in one form or another.

"presumably" - usually, the new symbols from one release to the next are
small and don't affect too many packages.  Can you give us a list of new
symbols in 2.39, to understand how significant this is?  Because there's a
tension here between wanting packages to pick up the new interfaces, and
wanting unrelated uploads of packages to not get stuck behind glibc in
-proposed if the migration takes a long time.

> * The newer glibc would be tested for less time, although presumably
>   that's somewhat offset by it taking less time to reach the release
>   pocket from -proposed.

> WDYT?

Thanks,
Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/