I think that we've got to be adult about this.

I believe that the code of conduct - like most other rules in our
society is meant to protect people and values.

Where we start to go wrong, is by using any set of rules to their
maximum extent to prove a point, appear clever or knowledgeable or to
stir up trouble. If we can agree that the code of conduct is meant to
protect people, and we can also agree that the original poster - no
matter how misguided - never meant to hurt anyone, then I don't really
think the code of conduct needs to be invoked.

Lets not descend into the madness of political correctness for the
sake of proving a point. It's petty, pathetic and and devalues the
rule set underpinning it.

Chris