Foxyproxy is a good plugin for firefox if you cannot get the PAC file
working. That allows setting exceptions and redirecting to different
proxies based on regular expressions.

On 1 May 2013, at 17:11, Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood....@gmail.com>
wrote:

On May 1, 2013 4:16 PM, "Simon Greenwood" <sfgreenw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 May 2013 16:06, Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I'm having a problem with Ubuntu in work when I try to use a PAC file to
configure the proxy. The result is that the http_proxy variable is not set,
and everything tries to connect directly. Does anyone have any idea how I
could try to debug this?

>> By the way, the same file works perfectly for all the windows machines,
so I doubt it's a syntax error but it is a possibility.

>> I downloaded the source for libproxy, but I can't easily see where to
start - my C++ is very limited, I'm a Java programmer.

> It's been a while since I've needed one but Firefox used to honour
HTTP_PROXY when set as an environment variable so you could just set it in
your .profile. I think Chrome might not and a quick search seems to confirm
that.

> s/
> --
> Twitter: @sfgreenwood
> "TBA are particularly glib"

Thanks for the suggestion, Simon. I have internet access working by
manually setting the proxy. However, the PAC file is about 50 lines long
with exceptions including various subnets. I haven't been able to use
no_proxy with CIDRs, so I'd prefer to get the PAC working if possible,
especially since there are 40+ other Ubuntu users in the same office and it
would be nice if we could have the same experience as the few remaining
windows users!

Any other ideas?

Neil.