I've had this/these, today. First you find there's no sound, then if you go to restart, you find the shutdown sequence hangs, and you have to use the power button to switch the machine off. Only advice offered at this point is to revert to the previous kernel.

I have noticed previously that the shutdown sequence seemed kinda buggy: too fast, no purple Ubuntu shutdown screen, no messages after speech dispatcher (ie no "system is going down for halt NOW!" for instance); just the speech dispatcher message, then a click, like that of a hard shutdown from the power button, and total offness. But I haven't noticed the sort of errors that usually result during the following session after a hard shutdown.