On 09/05/13 12:34, scoundrel50a wrote:
On 09/05/2013 10:39, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
On 05/06/2013 01:55 PM, Barry Drake wrote:
On 02/05/13 16:14, alan c wrote:
I have often got undesirable responses from almost ANY 'shops' selling
PCs, although I have not tried much now that Android is blossoming so
well, and Chromebooks.

I have posted my actions in full at: Ubuntu bug #1 - see:

I find it very interesting that nearly four years ago, when I bought
my Toshiba Netbook with Ubuntu Remix from Dixons, they were selling
like hot cakes, far better than the equivalent Windows machines.
Then suddenly, overnight, they disappeared. Now what retailer would
remove a best-selling line instantly like that, /unless /there was
some sort of external pressure to do so? ;-(

When I bought my Acer Aspire with Linux Lite on it, the guy in PCWorld
said that it might not connect to the internet and there was no support,
and they were getting loads returned because nobody knew how to use it,
so if I couldnt get it to work, I could get my money back......which
tells me that is why Linux based computers disappeared.

A few years ago, I requested, and was granted, a chat with the Manager of PCWorld (Reading). I asked if I could do a small demo of (Ubuntu) near the door one weekend, and hand out leaflets. I showed one of my (computer fair) leaflets. It was a relaxed conversation. He simply asked
'Can I sell it?'
I said,
'Well, it is free.'
He responded, before hurriedly rushing off,
'Not interested.'

--
alan cocks