There are actually 2-3 issues in this bug:
a) There is the incompatibility between the fglrx and the intel
driver. In order to get around that, the workaround for now is to
patch the intel driver (reverting a commit)
b) The fglrx driver did not included some paths and this prevented
applications needing direct rendering from functioning
Both fixes are now included in my PPA.

Muxless hybrid systems with fglrx/intel drivers should work by now if
they select the dgpu.
For issues when using the igpu there is the separate Bug: #1088220

Personally, I have a muxless based on 6630M .

Nikos

2012/12/10 Marco Vuano <1068...@bugs.launchpad.net>:
> @Nick: I noticed that Freedesktop's bug 56494 affects a system based on AMD
> Radeon HD 6550M which uses PowerXpress 3.0/Switchable graphics and not
> PowerXpress 4.0/Dynamic Switchable graphics. It is likely that the bug is not
> the same.
> To clarify the version of PowerXpress supported by the various supported AMD
> cards, I'll post this short list based on information on AMD site (names are
> based on information available on AMD site and on the slides which can be
> viewed on http://www.slideshare.net/AMD/amd-enduro-technology):
>
> PowerXpress 3.0/Switchable Graphics: HD 6300M series, HD 6500M series.
> PowerXpress 4.0/Dynamic Switchable Graphics: (HD 6300M series), HD 6400M
> series, HD 6600M/6700M series, HD 7300M series, HD 7400M series, HD
> 7500M/7600M series.
> PowerXpress 5.0/Enduro: HD 7700M series, HD 7800M series, HD 7900M series
>
> The HD 6300M series is reported as being based both on PowerXpress 3.0
> (http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/switchable-graphics/Pages
> /switchable-graphics.aspx) and PowerXpress 4.0
> (http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/graphics/amd-radeon-6000m/amd-
> radeon-6300m/Pages/amd-radeon-6300m.aspx), we need to see the report of
> an user with a GPU based on HD 6300M series to clarify this (apparently
> the muxless version of PowerXpress 3.0 is not supported on Linux, so if
> a HD 6300M series GPU uses the muxless version of PowerXpress 3.0 it
> should have the same issue reported on bug 56494 of Freedesktop).
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1068404
>
> Title:
>   Low graphics mode in Hybrid ATI/Intel GPU systems after fglrx upgrade
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:

which is subscribed to the bug report.

  Low graphics mode in Hybrid ATI/Intel GPU systems after fglrx upgrade