I have an IBM Thinkpad T41 with an ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 (rv 250). I
can't say I've noticed this problem in Ubuntu 9.04, but I just tried
booting from the 9.10 alpha5 karmic livecd (off a USB stick), and the
system always locks up within a minute or so of booting. I noticed a
little bit of video corruption in a couple of spots on the screen. I
don't even have enough time to run dmesg. I just tried looking on the
usb stick, and even though user settings should be getting saved to it,
I don't see any copy of Xorg*.log anywhere. Or for that matter, any
normal looking linux filesystem.

It's possible this lockup is due to my hard drive setup: I have a grey
market ultrabay adapter which converts SATA signals to IDE. I have a
SATA drive in there, plus I also have a normal IDE drive in the normal
drive slot.

That said, in the first 30 sec after booting from the usb stick, I've
noticed that gnome seems much more responsive than before, even with
compiz enabled (which is the default). This is very exciting! Keep up
the good work!

--
[RV250] thinkpad t40 with ati radeon rv 250 (M 9000) freezes
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in ubuntu.