I have this exact same problem on my Thinkpad T23, running Lubuntu.
Video worked fine in 12.04, but after upgrade to 12.10, graphics are
corrupted and unusable. I tried upgrading again to 13.04 and the problem
persists. I can switch to a TTY and use it with no graphical anomalies,
only X is broken.

Graphics card:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Graphics Ltd. SuperSavage IX/C SDR (rev
05)

Screenshot here:
http://qman.strangled.net:8080/pics/phone/IMG_20130811_003902.jpg

Video demonstration here:
http://qman.strangled.net:8080/pics/phone/VID_20130811_003944.mp4

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-savage in Ubuntu.

  S3 savage support is not working in 12.10 and beyond