Public bug reported:

Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

In Jaunty, I could disable the touchpad completely, however this functionality
has been removed in Karmic.
Allow me to explain why this important:
In the normal course of typing, one tends to stop for a few seconds with the
palms, still on the keyboard. At this time, there are very high chances of you
triggering the touchpad.

The same problem appears in gaming on laptops, where one can
inadvertently trigger the touchpad (while one is not typing anything)

"Disable while typing" is good - but we need a "disable completely" key
as well. Maybe when the mouse is removed, the touchpad is re-activated
or something.

In any case alt-f2 and gnome-mouse-config can be used to reactivate your
touchpad.

** Affects: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (Ubuntu)

--
(Karmic) Need an option to disable touchpad completely
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in ubuntu.