I've been following this bug for quite a while and it is pretty clear
that this is *NOT* a permissions problem. I've always run nvidia-
settings with gksudo / sudo and the problem was always there. So please
don't mark as fixed because of permissions.

I have not tested this with the latest Karmic update but the program did
crash when run with root privileges on a then-uptodate Karmic as late as
last week.

--
nvidia-settings crashes when user clicks Save To X Configuration File
which is subscribed to nvidia-settings in ubuntu.