OK, I did try just upgrading the kernel, which didn't help.
I have tried 2.6.32-rc7 from the mainline kernels. However, the description of
xorg-edgers worries me. This the laptop that I work on, so I rather have a non
freezing X, without sound, 3D acceleration, than a non working laptop.
Could I just add the ppa to my sources and update the packages? And if that
fails, roll them back without any harm? Or is it more difficult? (If it is this
easy, and I will always be able to revert to the status I am in now, I will
give it a try)

--
[i855] [karmic] X freezes with intel 855GM videocard
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.