hi Steve,

I wish I could.... ;-)
There were updates to X-core and the ATI/Radeon driver in the same batch that
contained Plymouth 0.8.0~-14.
To my surprise I can now start up without the dreaded 'nomodeset' option. This
works fine, Plymouth and X all doing what they should. So far, so good.

In order to find out what Plymouth would do when booting under 'nomodeset' I
rebooted and tried that. Guess what..... the situation has reversed.
'Nomodeset' now gives me a screen with vertical coloured bars abd lines, and
there it all ends.
To be precise:
- 2 messages about fsck
- a purple screen in text-mode with Ubuntu showing, no coloured horizontal bar
at the bottom
- some messages about urearahead exiting with status 4, looking a bit messy
like the ones that broke up the blue/white bar
- X kicks in and I'm looking at vertical lines.

I guess I can't complain about my system finally booting without setting extra
options, but it sort of bothers me that I can't tell you whether Plymouth works
OK now when KMS is disables.
Thanx for all your effort so far tho.

cheers
Tom