Today on SPACE.com --- Wednesday, July 6, 2005 -- http://www.space.com/

/-------------------------------------
Advertisement:

Can't wait to explore the night sky? Try Digital Download 5 for free!
Download the universe to your desktop.

http://www.starrynight.com/digital_download.html

-------------------------------------/

In today's issue:

Science/Astronomy:
* Space Jets Recreated in Lab
* Russian Court Postpones Hearing in Astrologer's Deep Impact Lawsuit
* Image of the Day: Africa's Orange River

Spaceflight:
* Voyage to the Stars: NASA Study Mulls Options
* Russian Space Agency Signs Tourist Deal
* ASTRONOTES: Japan Postpones M-5 Rocket Launch
* As Discovery's Flight Nears, Four NASA Men Deal with Columbia's Loss
* Mars Robots Continue Science Gathering Duties
* Afterglow: NASA Lauds Deep Impact's Comet Crash
* NASA Revisits Space Shuttle Close Calls
* NEW! Daily Space Trivia

NEW! LiveScience.com
* LiveScience Amazing Images: Upload Your Cool Pictures Now!
* What Does Busy Start Mean to Hurricane Season Predictions?
* NEW Image Gallery: Great White Sharks
* The Science of Shark Attacks and How to Avoid Them
* Take Your Time: Extra Second Will be Added to 2005
* Tornado Record Set: No Deaths Since March
* Footprints in Mexico Create Scientific Stir
* Mount St. Helens' Lava Dome Partly Collapses
* Birds of Prey: Spot Today's Dinosaurs

NEW! Cool Stuff:
* Amazing Images: Cool Space and Science Photos from around the World and Beyond
* Science Smashing: Deep Impact's Top 10 Images
* Special Report: "Deep Impact"
* Visit Our Collection of Space Wallpapers
* New Gallery: Colorful Auroras: 2005 Season, Pt. 2
* Visit the Space Library
* Get the weather from anywhere on Earth...with WeatherBug!
* New! Search for Your Next Hi-Tech Job Opportunity Now!

Entertainment: Movies, Television, DVD, Games and much more...
* VOTE NOW: Rate Your Favorite Space Movies
* New Songs Added...Explore the SpaceBox!
* Film Review: 'War of the Worlds' Update Hits Home
* TV Review: 'Seconds from Disaster: Columbia's Last Flight'
* Kansas Museum Spotlights Cold War Space Ventures
* New 'Doctor Who' a Hit for BBC

Recent Headlines:
* SPACE NEWS: NASA's Moon Plans Shift into High Gear
* Predicting the Next Bright Comet
* Solar Sail Launch Failure Remains Mysterious
* Details Emerge on Jeff Bezos' Space Plans
* Fixing NASA: Continuing Coverage of the Space Shuttle Return to Flight
* Cassini's Journeys: Headquarters for mission news, Saturn and more

Plus...

* Uplink, SPACE.com TV and NightSky
* Starry Night, TeamSETI

-----------------------------------

Science/Astronomy:

* Space Jets Recreated in Lab
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/050704_lab_jets.html

Hyperfast, exotic streams of gas that have been observed shooting from black
holes behave like lines of speeding cars that suddenly encounter heavy traffic,
new lab work shows.

* Russian Court Postpones Hearing in Astrologer's Deep Impact Lawsuit
http://www.space.com/news/ap_050705_deepimpact_astrologer.html

NASA's mission that sent a space probe smashing into a comet raised more than
cosmic dust – it also brought a lawsuit from a Russian astrologer.

* Image of the Day: Africa's Orange River
http://www.space.com/imageoftheday/image_of_day_050706.html

The Orange River separates Namibia and South Africa, cutting through stark but
colorful landscape before emptying into the South Atlantic Ocean.

-----------------------------------

Spaceflight:

* Voyage to the Stars: NASA Study Mulls Options
http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/050706_star_voyage.html

The idea of dispatching a dedicated robotic probe on an interstellar trek has
been seriously advocated for nearly 30 years. A recently finished appraisal of
how to build such a craft shows that it is within reach -- but nonetheless
remains a challenging task.

* Russian Space Agency Signs Tourist Deal
http://www.space.com/news/ap_olson_tourist_050706.html

Russia's space agency has signed a contract with Gregory Olsen, a spokesman
said Wednesday, in a deal that would make the U.S. millionaire scientist only
the third tourist to visit the international space station.

* ASTRONOTES: Japan Postpones M-5 Rocket Launch
http://www.space.com/astronotes/astronotes.html

Japan's space agency said Wednesday that bad weather had forced it to delay the
launch of an M-5 rocket carrying a satellite to study black holes and galaxies.

* As Discovery's Flight Nears, Four NASA Men Deal with Columbia's Loss
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/ap_050705_columbia_profiles.html

Each man had an intimate tie to the Columbia disaster. Two were in Mission
Control trying to save the shuttle and its crew, and two were 900 miles (1,448
kilometers) away at the Florida landing strip waiting for a spacecraft that
would never come.

* Mars Robots Continue Science Gathering Duties
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/050705_rovers_update.html

NASA's dual Mars rovers – Spirit and Opportunity – are wheeling about in their
respective zones of exploration: Gusev Crater and Meridiani Planum.

* Afterglow: NASA Lauds Deep Impact's Comet Crash
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/050704_deepimpact_update.html

Deep Impact scientists and engineers are lauding their mission's successful
collision with Comet Tempel 1 and are already drawing some conclusions about
the icy wanderer.

* NASA Revisits Space Shuttle Close Calls
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/ft_050702_shuttle_closecalls.html

A rocket fuel fire during atmospheric re-entry that ended in explosions on the
Edwards Air Force Base runway in 1983.

* NEW! Daily Space Trivia
http://www.space.com/php/trivia/

One of Today's 5 New Questions: Who logged the most space walk time for women
astronauts in the 20th century?

----------------------------------

NEW! LiveScience.com
http://www.livescience.com/

* LiveScience Amazing Images: Upload Your Cool Pictures Now!
http://www.livescience.com/amazingimages/

Upload your cool pictures of exotic locales, nature, weather, creatures and
more!

* What Does Busy Start Mean to Hurricane Season Predictions?
http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/050706_hurricane_start.html

The record fast start to this year's hurricane season won't alter
meteorologists' earlier prediction of a fairly active season with 12 to 15
named storms, forecasters say.

* NEW Image Gallery: Great White Sharks
http://www.livescience.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/

Cool pictures of Nature's perfect killing machine.

* The Science of Shark Attacks and How to Avoid Them
http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/050705_shark_attack.html

Despite two highly publicized shark attacks last month along the U.S. coast, at
least one scientist says it's safe to go back in the water.

* Take Your Time: Extra Second Will be Added to 2005
http://www.livescience.com/technology/050705_leap_second.html

Officials announced Monday that an extra second would be added at the end of
this year.

* Tornado Record Set: No Deaths Since March
http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/050705_tornado_deaths.html

A new record has been set for tornado deaths, and the news is all good.

* Footprints in Mexico Create Scientific Stir
http://www.livescience.com/history/ap_050705_human_footprints.html

British scientists claimed on Tuesday to have unearthed 40,000 year-old human
footprints in central Mexico, challenging previous studies that put the arrival
of the first humans in the Americas at about 13,500 years ago.

* Mount St. Helens' Lava Dome Partly Collapses
http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/ap_050703_helens_dome.html

A large part of the growing lava dome on Mount St. Helens fell Saturday,
sending an ash plume above the crater rim, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

* Birds of Prey: Spot Today's Dinosaurs
http://www.livescience.com/bestimg/?cat=birdsofprey

Dinosaurs didn't just go extinct, they evolved into birds. Some are notably
tenacious predators, and with the right gear and some persistence, you can see
many of them.

----------------------------------

NEW! Cool Stuff:

* Amazing Images: Cool Space and Science Photos from around the World and Beyond
http://www.space.com/amazingimages/

The best user-submitted earth and space imagery. Upload your amazing pictures
now!

* Science Smashing: Deep Impact's Top 10 Images
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/050705_scitues_deepimpact.html

Comets will never look the same now that NASA's Deep Impact spacecraft has
successfully slammed into one of the icy wanderers in full view of orbital
observatories, ground-based telescopes and skywatchers around the world.

* Special Report: "Deep Impact"
http://www.space.com/deepimpact/

Viewer Guides, Galleries, Mission Updates and More!

* Visit Our Collection of Space Wallpapers
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/downloads/wallpapers/

>From the highest quality space art to intergalactic photography, find an image
>for your desktop every month of the year.

* New Gallery: Colorful Auroras: 2005 Season, Pt. 2
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/archive.php?category=pe

More great shots of auroras on display during the 2005 Season.

* Visit the Space Library
http://www.space.com/spacelibrary/

Book previews and interviews with the authors of the latest books about
astronomy, space science and human spaceflight.

* Get the weather from anywhere on Earth...with WeatherBug!
http://www.space.com/php/weatherbug/

Type in your ZIP Code and hit "Go" to get your live local weather.

* New! Search for Your Next Hi-Tech Job Opportunity Now!
http://www.space.com/jobs/

Imaginova and CareerBuilder.com have partnered to bring you the best in job
searching, resume posting, and online recruiting.

----------------------------------

Entertainment: Movies, Television, DVD, Games and much more...
http://www.space.com/entertainment/

* VOTE NOW: Rate Your Favorite Space Movies
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/spacemovies/

Vote Now For Your Favorite Space Movie of All Time!

* New Songs Added...Explore the SpaceBox!
http://www.space.com/entertainment/spacebox/

Explore the SpaceBox! The Best, Worst, and Weirdest Music Inspired by the
Cosmos!

* Film Review: 'War of the Worlds' Update Hits Home
http://www.space.com/entertainment/050629_waroftheworlds_review.html

Filmmaker Steven Spielberg's update of the science fiction classic “War of the
Worlds,” may be a popcorn adventure at heart, but its fight against invaders
hits close to home.

* TV Review: 'Seconds from Disaster: Columbia's Last Flight'
http://www.space.com/entertainment/050628_columbia_disaster.html

The National Geographic Channel will pick apart the steps and missteps that led
up to the NASA's Columbia tragedy during a one-hour program highlighting the
disaster.

* Kansas Museum Spotlights Cold War Space Ventures
http://www.space.com/entertainment/ap_050618_cosmosphere_ent.html

A new gallery that opens Saturday at the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center
tells the story of early ventures into space from both the American and Russian
perspective in side-by-side exhibits.

* New 'Doctor Who' a Hit for BBC
http://www.space.com/entertainment/ap_050618_drwho_ent.html

A time-traveling blast from the past - and the future - has become one of the
biggest hits of Britain's television present.

----------------------------------

Recent Headlines:
http://www.space.com/news/

* SPACE NEWS: NASA's Moon Plans Shift into High Gear
http://www.space.com/spacenews/050704_business_monday.html

* Predicting the Next Bright Comet
http://www.space.com/spacewatch/050701_bright_comets.html

* Solar Sail Launch Failure Remains Mysterious
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/050701_cosmos_mystery.html

* Details Emerge on Jeff Bezos' Space Plans
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/050701_bezos_plans.html

* Fixing NASA: Continuing Coverage of the Space Shuttle Return to Flight
http://www.space.com/returntoflight/

* Cassini's Journeys: Headquarters for mission news, Saturn and more
http://www.space.com/cassini/

-----------------------------

* SpaceTV:
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/spacetv/

* NightSky:
http://www.space.com/spacewatch/

* Uplink: Share your opinion!
http://uplink.space.com/

-------------------------------------

JOIN NOW! Sign-up For the National Space Society
https://www.nss.org/membership/new_member_form.html

It's because of members like YOU that we've been able to convince the U.S.
President and many in Congress to continue our journey towards the stars!

Sign up to become part of the greatest search in history!
Join TeamSETI: http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_science_page.html

Be a desktop astronomer! Starry Night is the world's leading astronomy software
-- choose between Beginner, Backyard, or Pro!

http://www.starrynight.com/space

Share Your Space
Forward this newsletter to your friends!

(c) 1999-2004 Imaginova Corp. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Imaginova Corp.
470 Park Avenue South, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10016

Brazilian UFO Research Network - http://www.burn.com.br/

"Os incapazes de atacar um pensamento atacam o pensador"
                                         [ Paul Valéry ]

  Duvidas sobre a lista? Ler historico? Como mudar suas
  configurações? Quer sair da lista? Acesse agora mesmo
  nossa seção de Perguntas Frequentes no endereço:

   http://www.burn.com.br/perguntasfrequentes