Today on SPACE.com --- Friday, January 6, 2006 -- http://www.space.com/

/-------------------------------------

Advertisement:

SkyQuest™ XT4.5 Dobsonian Reflector

A Great Scope for Kids and Adults!

Our SkyQuest XT4.5 is a quality telescope, with point-and-view simplicity that
makes it easy to use and makes stargazing fun!

http://www.telescope.com/jump.jsp?itemID=364&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C4%2C9

-------------------------------------/

In today's issue:

Science/Astronomy:

* The Best Time for Moon Viewing

* Half a Dozen Stars Born in Milky Way Every Year

* Reacting to Disaster

* Stargazing for Soldiers: A Guide for Coalition Forces in Afghanistan and Iraq

* Size of Pluto's Moon Charon Pinned Down

Spaceflight:

* USAF Ready For Space Wars Game

* NASA Announces Next Space Station Crew

* NASA Strikes $44 Million Deal For Soyuz Flights

* Record Set for Space Laser Communication

* Damage Delays GlobalFlyer Aircraft's Arrival at NASA Spaceport

* Stepping Back To The Moon

* New Mexico Spaceport: Getting Down To Business

NEW! LiveScience.com

* Ants Use Antibiotics to Fight Pests

* 2005 Ties for 2nd Warmest Year Ever, But Cause Still Uncertain

* Earliest Maya Writings Found

* Soda-Cancer Link Revealed as Myth

* Bacteria Thrive in Hostile Human Bellies

* Sound Science: Pete Townshend Blames Headphones for Hearing Loss

* Study Reveals How Virus Harpoons Your Cells

* Ben Franklin Turns 300: Twice

* IMAGE OF THE DAY: Image of the Day: Tropical Storm Zeta

NEW! Cool Stuff:

* Vote for the Best Space Images of 2005!

* New Wallpaper: Visions of the future

* Comets Through Time: Myths and Mystery

* Amazing Images Hall of Fame

* New Gallery: Imagining Saturn and Titan

* NEW Podcast Episode! ZeroG - a Personal Journey into Weightlessness

* Get the weather from anywhere on Earth...with WeatherBug!

* New! Search for Your Next Hi-Tech Job Opportunity Now!

Entertainment: Movies, Television, DVD, Games and much more...

* VOTE NOW: Rate Your Favorite Space Movies

* NASA Astronaut to Help Build Martian Bedroom

* Man Pays $100,000 for Virtual Space Station

* 'Chicken Little' Throws Fowl Ball

* Gallery: Walking on the Moon in 3D

* New Songs Added...Explore the SpaceBox!

Recent Headlines:

* Pluto Colder Than Expected

* The Planets in 2006

* Light Echoes Reveal Exploded Stars

* Image of the Day: X-Ray Aurora

* New Mexico Spaceport: Getting Down To Business

* Three Pilots to Join Astronaut Hall of Fame

* Europe Basks in Success of Huygens; Budgets Stay Tight

* Final Launch of 2005 Orbits U.S. Communications Satellite

* EU Launches 1st Galileo Program Satellite

* Microbot Madness: Hopping Toward Planetary Exploration

* Genesis Crash Inquiry Helps Stardust Return

* The Rovers That Just Won't Stop

* NASA Probe to Light the Skies on Jan. 15 Re-entry

* NEW! Daily Space Trivia

Plus...

* Uplink, SPACE.com TV and NightSky

* Starry Night, TeamSETI

-----------------------------------

Science/Astronomy:

* The Best Time for Moon Viewing

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/060106_night_sky.html

If you have just received a telescope as a holiday gift or resolved to pull the
old one out of the closet in 2006, perhaps your first target will be our
nearest neighbor in space: the Moon. It's a great target that offers endless
opportunities even for experienced skywatchers.

* Half a Dozen Stars Born in Milky Way Every Year

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/060104_star_birth.html

Astronomers have the best evidence yet pinning down how just many stars form in
our galaxy every year: about half a dozen.

* Reacting to Disaster

http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_vakoch_react_060105.html

The scenario is familiar from Hollywood blockbusters like Armageddon and Deep
Impact. A massive asteroid—perhaps ten miles in diameter—is headed straight for
Earth. An all-out effort to deflect it is mounted. If the mission succeeds,
civilization as we know it will continue.

* Stargazing for Soldiers: A Guide for Coalition Forces in Afghanistan and Iraq

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/060104_mideast_sky.html

Chris Wallace, a chaplain in the U.S. Army currently deployed to Iraq recently
emailed SPACE.com regarding our weekly Night Sky column:

“Soldiers enjoy the sky much more here than in the states.  This time my wife
sent me a telescope.  Now I am 7 hours ahead of EST.  If I add 7 hours to EST,
can I expect to see in the sky all the data your website states?  I'm near
Falujah. If things are different, is there any way you can add a section for
Iraq?  Soldiers would use it.”

* Size of Pluto's Moon Charon Pinned Down

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/060104_charon_moon.html

A new study provides the best estimate to date of the diameter and heft of
Pluto's moon Charon and suggests the satellite likely has no atmosphere.

-----------------------------------

Spaceflight:

* USAF Ready For Space Wars Game

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technovel_spacewars_060106.html

The US Air Force has just put out a request for proposal for a "Gaming and
Training Environment for Counter Space Operations." In other words, they're
ready for Ender's Game. Or maybe Space Wars.

* NASA Announces Next Space Station Crew

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/060105_exp13_crew_announcement.html

NASA formally announced the next crew bound for the International Space Station
(ISS) Thursday, a two-astronaut team set to launch in mid-March aboard a
Russian Soyuz spacecraft.

* NASA Strikes $44 Million Deal For Soyuz Flights

http://www.space.com/news/060105_nasa_russia_soyuz.html

NASA will pay the Russian Federal Space Agency (Roskosmos) $21.8 million per
passenger for Soyuz rides to and from the International Space Station (ISS)
starting this spring.

* Record Set for Space Laser Communication

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/060104_laser_comm.html

In a cosmic version of laser tag, NASA's MESSENGER spacecraft and an
Earth-based observatory successfully exchanged laser pulses with each other
while millions of miles apart.

* Damage Delays GlobalFlyer Aircraft's Arrival at NASA Spaceport

http://www.space.com/news/ft_060104_globalflyer_ksc.html

A mishap that caused considerable damage to a fuel-filled wing on the Virgin
Atlantic GlobalFlyer prompted record-setting pilot Steve Fossett to postpone
plans to bring the craft to Kennedy Space Center this week.

* Stepping Back To The Moon

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/060104_moon_return.html

It is a bit cliché, but remains a Shakespearean truism: What is past is
prologue.

* New Mexico Spaceport: Getting Down To Business

http://www.space.com/news/060102_nm_spaceport.html

Creation of a spaceport in New Mexico to handle excursions of commuters to the
edge of space is a work in progress. But not only are sky-high dreamers needed.
Lots of political propulsion fueled by high-financing is also crucial.

----------------------------------

NEW! LiveScience.com

http://www.livescience.com/

* Ants Use Antibiotics to Fight Pests

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/060106_ant_fungus.html

Fungus-gardening ants have the same problems as human farmers—crop-eating
pests.

* 2005 Ties for 2nd Warmest Year Ever, But Cause Still Uncertain

http://www.livescience.com/environment/060106_2005_heat.html

Predictions early in 2005 that the year would be the warmest on record turned
out to be off the mark. A new study finds last year tied for the second-warmest
year since reliable records have been kept starting in the late 1800s.

* Earliest Maya Writings Found

http://www.livescience.com/history/060105_maya_writing.html

Newly discovered hieroglyphs call origins and influences into question.

* Soda-Cancer Link Revealed as Myth

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/060105_soda_cancer.html

Drinking soda may actually ward off esophageal cancer, a new study finds. But
42.2 gallons a year is probably more than enough.

* Bacteria Thrive in Hostile Human Bellies

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/060105_stomach_bacteria.html

The harsh acidic environment of your stomach is home to many more bacteria
types than previously thought, a new study indicates.

* Sound Science: Pete Townshend Blames Headphones for Hearing Loss

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/060104_earbuds.html

But what is the science of his claim?

* Study Reveals How Virus Harpoons Your Cells

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/060104_virus_fusion.html

Researchers have deciphered the structure of a harpoon-like protein some
viruses use to enter cells and begin infection.

* Ben Franklin Turns 300: Twice

http://www.livescience.com/history/060104_franklin_calendar.html

A little known ripple in American history forced time ahead by 11 days in the
inventor's era. This month, it's time to break out 600 candles.

* IMAGE OF THE DAY: Image of the Day: Tropical Storm Zeta

http://www.livescience.com/imageoftheday/siod_060105.html

On December 30, 2005 Tropical Storm Zeta—the season's sixth storm named after a
Greek letter—spun up over the Atlantic Ocean.

----------------------------------

NEW! Cool Stuff:

* Vote for the Best Space Images of 2005!

http://www.space.com/bestimg/index.php?cat=best2005

We've singled out the top images. Now YOU Decide! VOTE NOW for the Best Space
Images of 2005!

* New Wallpaper: Visions of the future

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/downloads/wallpapers/collection.php?collection=drobinson2

Download these new space exploration wallpapers from Award-winning Space Artist
David Robinson.

* Comets Through Time: Myths and Mystery

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/comets/

Take a journey around the Solar System with this new multimedia adventure!

* Amazing Images Hall of Fame

http://www.space.com/amazingimages/

Upload your cool science and space-themed images now. Get your own homepage,
vote for your favorites and more!

* New Gallery: Imagining Saturn and Titan

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/igviewer.php?imgid=3745&gid=273&index=0

Artist Kees Veenenbos used real spacecraft data to render scenes of Saturn and
Titan.

* NEW Podcast Episode! ZeroG - a Personal Journey into Weightlessness

http://www.space.com/php/siteinfo/RSSinfo.php

All Aboard! Join us on a Zero-G weightless flight!

* Get the weather from anywhere on Earth...with WeatherBug!

http://www.space.com/php/weatherbug/

Type in your ZIP Code and hit "Go" to get your live local weather.

* New! Search for Your Next Hi-Tech Job Opportunity Now!

http://www.space.com/jobs/

Imaginova and CareerBuilder.com have partnered to bring you the best in job
searching, resume posting, and online recruiting.

----------------------------------

Entertainment: Movies, Television, DVD, Games and much more...

http://www.space.com/entertainment/

* VOTE NOW: Rate Your Favorite Space Movies

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/spacemovies/

Vote Now For Your Favorite Space Movie of All Time!

* NASA Astronaut to Help Build Martian Bedroom

http://www.space.com/entertainment/051203_astronaut_tradingspace.html

A NASA shuttle astronaut is will hang up his spacesuit for a day Saturday to
try his hand at interior decorating.

* Man Pays $100,000 for Virtual Space Station

http://www.space.com/entertainment/ap_051110_virtual_spacestation_ent.html

In one of the largest sales yet of property in an online game, a Miami resident
has bought a virtual space station for $100,000 and wants to turn it into a
cross between Jurassic Park and a disco.

* 'Chicken Little' Throws Fowl Ball

http://www.space.com/entertainment/051104_ent_chickenlittle.html

Disney's first homegrown computer-animated film is one of the more painful
moviegoing experiences in years, a contrived bit of barnyard pat dubbed Chicken
Little.

* Gallery: Walking on the Moon in 3D

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/igviewer.php?imgid=3594&gid=265&index=0

Take a sneak peek at scenes from the new IMAX movie Magnificent Desolation.

* New Songs Added...Explore the SpaceBox!

http://www.space.com/entertainment/spacebox/

Explore the SpaceBox! The Best, Worst, and Weirdest Music Inspired by the
Cosmos!

----------------------------------

Recent Headlines:

http://www.space.com/news/

* Pluto Colder Than Expected

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/060103_pluto_cold.html

* The Planets in 2006

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/051230_night_sky.html

* Light Echoes Reveal Exploded Stars

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/051227_science_tuesday.html

* Image of the Day: X-Ray Aurora

http://www.space.com/imageoftheday/image_of_day_051230.html

* New Mexico Spaceport: Getting Down To Business

http://www.space.com/news/060102_nm_spaceport.html

* Three Pilots to Join Astronaut Hall of Fame

http://www.space.com/news/cs_051230_inductees.html

* Europe Basks in Success of Huygens; Budgets Stay Tight

http://www.space.com/news/051229_2005_europe.html

* Final Launch of 2005 Orbits U.S. Communications Satellite

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/sfn_051229_proton_launch.html

* EU Launches 1st Galileo Program Satellite

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/051228_ap_galileo_launch.html

* Microbot Madness: Hopping Toward Planetary Exploration

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/051228_microbots.html

* Genesis Crash Inquiry Helps Stardust Return

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/051228_genesis_stardust.html

* The Rovers That Just Won't Stop

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/051226_rovers2005.html

* NASA Probe to Light the Skies on Jan. 15 Re-entry

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/051226_stardust_watch.html

* NEW! Daily Space Trivia

http://www.space.com/php/trivia/

-----------------------------

* SpaceTV:

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/spacetv/

* NightSky:

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/

* Uplink: Share your opinion!

http://uplink.space.com/

-------------------------------------

JOIN NOW! Sign-up For the National Space Society

https://www.nss.org/membership/new_member_form.html

It's because of members like YOU that we've been able to convince the U.S.
President and many in Congress to continue our journey towards the stars!

Sign up to become part of the greatest search in history!

Join TeamSETI: http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_science_page.html

Be a desktop astronomer! Starry Night is the world's leading astronomy software
-- choose between Beginner, Backyard, or Pro!

http://www.starrynight.com/space

-------------------------------------

Feedback

We welcome your comments and suggestions at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To Unsubscribe:

Share Your Space

Forward this newsletter to your friends!

(c) 1999-2004 Imaginova Corp. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Imaginova Corp.

470 Park Avenue South, 9th Floor

New York, NY 10016

       A A1 Web Solutions hospeda o site da BURN
Hospede seu site ufológico aqui e ganhe 10% de desconto

            http://www.a1web.com.br/

Brazilian UFO Research Network - http://www.burn.com.br/

"Os incapazes de atacar um pensamento atacam o pensador"
                                         [ Paul Valéry ]

  Duvidas sobre a lista? Ler historico? Como mudar suas
  configurações? Quer sair da lista? Acesse agora mesmo
  nossa seção de Perguntas Frequentes no endereço:

   http://www.burn.com.br/perguntasfrequentes