Today on SPACE.com --- Thursday April 20, 2006 -- http://www.space.com/

/-------------------------------------

Advertisement:

Visit the LiveScience Store

Cool Gifts, Gadgets, and Gear. Products for the inquiring mind.

http://livesciencestore.com/index.html

-------------------------------------/

In today's issue:

Science/Astronomy:

* A Scientific Referee's Guild

* NASA's NEEMO 9: Remote Surgery and Mock Moonwalks on the Sea Floor

* Universal Light Source Pinned Down

* Image of the Day: Sunset 16 Times a Day

Spaceflight:

* America's Space Vision

* Space Station Fails to Boost Orbit in Engine Test

* NASA Satellite Duo Set for Cloud-Watching Mission

* ASTRONOTES: Competitors Wanted for NASA Centennial Challenges

* New Mexico Spaceport: Open For Business

* NASA Honors Neil Armstrong with Moon Rock Award

* NEW! Daily Space Trivia

NEW! LiveScience.com

* New Gallery: New Amphibian Tree of Life

* Busting Baseball Myths: Scientist Throws Big Curveballs

* Millions of Years Ago, Snakes Were Hip

* Vast Plumbing Network Discovered Beneath Antarctica

* Equality Makes for Better Sex

* Visit Our Cool LiveScience Galleries

* NEW! LiveScience Blogs

* Reader's Favorite

NEW! Cool Stuff:

* New Gallery: Amazing Galaxies: Great Backyard Images

* Video: Planet Hunter

* SPACE.com Reader Favorites

* Visit Our Collection of Space Wallpapers

* SPACE.com Image Gallery Collection

* SPACE.com Video Collection

* Get the weather from anywhere on Earth...with WeatherBug!

* New! Search for Your Next Hi-Tech Job Opportunity Now!

Entertainment: Movies, Television, DVD, Games and much more...

* New! Space.com's Stellar Blast

* VOTE NOW: Rate Your Favorite Space Movies

* Cosmic Collisions: A Striking New Planetarium Show

* Astronaut Forced Out Survivor's Airlock

* Film Documentary Spotlights Lost Challenger Teacher-Astronaut

* New Songs Added...Explore the SpaceBox!

Recent Headlines:

* New Model Simulates Einstein's Vision of Black Hole Mergers

* Star Clusters Hold Secrets To Stellar Evolution

* NASA Pulls Planned Spacewalk from Next Shuttle Mission

* U.S. to Reposition Satellite Over Amazon

* Shuttle Fix Aimed at Reducing Risk to Space Station

* Latest News and Updates on the Mars Rovers

* Cassini's Journeys: Headquarters for mission news, Saturn and more

Plus...

* Uplink, SPACE.com TV and NightSky

* Starry Night, TeamSETI

-----------------------------------

Science/Astronomy:

* A Scientific Referee's Guild

http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_referee_guild_060420.html

Science funding needs a body of experts in no way connected with the funding of
the projects being refereed, and (ideally) high above reproach. And, unlike
today's referees, would be paid by the publication or program using their
services.

* NASA's NEEMO 9: Remote Surgery and Mock Moonwalks on the Sea Floor

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/060419_neemo9_techwed.html

A team of astronauts and divers is wrapping up a record-setting mission to the
ocean floor filled with undersea “moonwalks” and robotic surgeries controlled
by a doctor high and dry in Canada.

* Universal Light Source Pinned Down

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/060419_light.html

We live in a universe filled with light, but astronomers have long wondered how
much of the light comes from visible stars and galaxies, and how much of it is
near-infrared afterglow leftover from the early days of the universe.

* Image of the Day: Sunset 16 Times a Day

http://www.space.com/imageoftheday/image_of_day_060420.html

The sun sets behind the Earth as astronauts watch aboard the International
Space Station (ISS).

-----------------------------------

Spaceflight:

* America's Space Vision

http://www.space.com/adastra/adastra_marburger_vision_060420.html

These remarks were given by John Marburger on March 15, 2006 during the Keynote
Address of the 44th Robert H. Goddard Memorial Symposium in Greenbelt, Maryland.

* Space Station Fails to Boost Orbit in Engine Test

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/060419_exp13_issreboost.html

The International Space Station (ISS) failed to reach a higher orbit Wednesday
during a test of two long-dormant engines mounted near a Russian-built docking
port.

* NASA Satellite Duo Set for Cloud-Watching Mission

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/060419_cloudsat_calipso_prelnch.html

After months of delays, NASA is once again set to launch a pair of
cloud-watching satellites to join a flotilla of probes aimed at improving
weather and climate forecasts.

* ASTRONOTES: Competitors Wanted for NASA Centennial Challenges

http://www.space.com/astronotes/astronotes.html

The gates are open for five NASA contest offering more than $1 million in cash
prizes for the best new astronaut glove, power beam, strongest tether and Moon
machines as part the agency's ongoing Centennial Challenges program.

* New Mexico Spaceport: Open For Business

http://www.space.com/news/060419_nm_spaceport.html

Work at the New Mexico spaceport has reached a milestone as facilities are
ready to support the first rocket flight from the site—now targeted for July.

* NASA Honors Neil Armstrong with Moon Rock Award

http://www.space.com/news/cs_060814_armstrong_bok.html

Apollo's first moonwalker Neil Armstrong was honored today as NASA Ambassador
of Exploration at an event hosted by the Cincinnati Museum Center at Union
Terminal in Ohio.

* NEW! Daily Space Trivia

http://www.space.com/php/trivia/

One of Today's 5 New Questions: When was the U.S. flag first applied to a space
suit?

----------------------------------

NEW! LiveScience.com

http://www.livescience.com/

* New Gallery: New Amphibian Tree of Life

http://www.livescience.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/igviewer.php?imgid=685&gid=45&index=0

American Museum of Natural History biologists and colleagues have radically
revised understanding of amphibian evolution with a whole new taxonomy system.

* Busting Baseball Myths: Scientist Throws Big Curveballs

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/060420_baseball_perception.html

Why screaming line drives are tough to catch, curveballs hard to hit, and
rising fastballs are mere illusions.

* Millions of Years Ago, Snakes Were Hip

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/060419_snake_hips.html

Once upon a time, snakes had legs. A new discovery reveals at least one had
hips, too.

* Vast Plumbing Network Discovered Beneath Antarctica

http://www.livescience.com/environment/060419_antarctic_plumbing.html

An intricate network of channels beneath Antarctica's ice sheets could allow
water, and possibly life, to shuttle from one underground lake to another, a
new study suggests.

* Equality Makes for Better Sex

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/060419_ap_sex_satisfaction.html

Japanese adults can't get enough satisfaction, but Austria's mojo is working.

* Visit Our Cool LiveScience Galleries

http://www.livescience.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/

Where Science comes to Life...Explore our incredible collection of science
images!

* NEW! LiveScience Blogs

http://www.livescience.com/blogs/

Your daily dose of science scuttlebutt. Click now to explore more!

* Reader's Favorite

http://www.livescience.com/readerfavorites/index.html

Here are your favorite features. Return often to see what's hot!

----------------------------------

NEW! Cool Stuff:

* New Gallery: Amazing Galaxies: Great Backyard Images

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/igviewer.php?imgid=3971&gid=286

Spectacular views submitted by SPACE.com visitors.

* Video: Planet Hunter

http://www.space.com/php/video/player.php?video_id=b020321_sp_leckrone1

Supercharged Hubble Space Telescope Searches for Extrasolar Planets.

* SPACE.com Reader Favorites

http://www.space.com/readerfavorites/

Your favorite features, galleries, multimedia, video and more now all in one
easy to find location!

* Visit Our Collection of Space Wallpapers

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/downloads/wallpapers/

>From the highest quality space art to intergalactic photography, find an image
>for your desktop every month of the year.

* SPACE.com Image Gallery Collection

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/

Hundreds of incredible views of space in our large collection of Image
Galleries.

* SPACE.com Video Collection

http://www.space.com/php/video/

Check out our cool collection of space-themed videos.

* Get the weather from anywhere on Earth...with WeatherBug!

http://www.space.com/php/weatherbug/

Type in your ZIP Code and hit "Go" to get your live local weather.

* New! Search for Your Next Hi-Tech Job Opportunity Now!

http://www.space.com/jobs/

Imaginova and CareerBuilder.com have partnered to bring you the best in job
searching, resume posting, and online recruiting.

----------------------------------

Entertainment: Movies, Television, DVD, Games and much more...

http://www.space.com/entertainment/

* New! Space.com's Stellar Blast

http://www.space.com/games/

Take a ride on an intergalactic shoot 'em up or choose from many more new games!

* VOTE NOW: Rate Your Favorite Space Movies

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/spacemovies/

Vote Now For Your Favorite Space Movie of All Time!

* Cosmic Collisions: A Striking New Planetarium Show

http://www.space.com/entertainment/060317_cosmiccollision.html

'Cosmic Collisions', the new show at American Museum of Natural History's
Hayden Planetarium in New York offers some great solar physics, but plays it
safe with the type of catastrophe such events bring.

* Astronaut Forced Out Survivor's Airlock

http://www.space.com/entertainment/060310_survivor_astronaut.html

Entering his 14th day as a contestant on the CBS network's reality TV show,
"Survivor Panama: Exile Island", retired astronaut-turned-castaway Dan Barry
was feeling pretty good about his current situation.

* Film Documentary Spotlights Lost Challenger Teacher-Astronaut

http://www.space.com/entertainment/ap_060124_challenger_mcauliffe.html

The Challenger explosion left an indelible impression on Renee Sotile, who like
so many starry-eyed students in 1986 had been captivated by a teacher who was
among the crew heading to space.

* New Songs Added...Explore the SpaceBox!

http://www.space.com/entertainment/spacebox/

Explore the SpaceBox! The Best, Worst, and Weirdest Music Inspired by the
Cosmos!

----------------------------------

Recent Headlines:

http://www.space.com/news/

* New Model Simulates Einstein's Vision of Black Hole Mergers

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/060418_bhole_merger.html

* Star Clusters Hold Secrets To Stellar Evolution

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/060418_star_clusters.html

* NASA Pulls Planned Spacewalk from Next Shuttle Mission

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/060417_sts121_evachange.html

* U.S. to Reposition Satellite Over Amazon

http://www.space.com/news/ap_060417_goes_amazon.html

* Shuttle Fix Aimed at Reducing Risk to Space Station

http://www.space.com/news/ft_060417_shuttle_fix.html

* Latest News and Updates on the Mars Rovers

http://www.space.com/marsrover/

* Cassini's Journeys: Headquarters for mission news, Saturn and more

http://www.space.com/cassini/

-----------------------------

* SpaceTV:

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/spacetv/

* NightSky:

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/

* Uplink: Share your opinion!

http://uplink.space.com/

-------------------------------------

JOIN NOW! Sign-up For the National Space Society

https://www.nss.org/membership/new_member_form.html

It's because of members like YOU that we've been able to convince the U.S.
President and many in Congress to continue our journey towards the stars!

Sign up to become part of the greatest search in history!

Join TeamSETI: http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_science_page.html

Be a desktop astronomer! Starry Night is the world's leading astronomy software
-- choose between Beginner, Backyard, or Pro!

http://www.starrynight.com/space

-------------------------------------

Feedback

We welcome your comments and suggestions at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To Unsubscribe:

Share Your Space

Forward this newsletter to your friends!

(c) 1999-2004 Imaginova Corp. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Imaginova Corp.

470 Park Avenue South, 9th Floor

New York, NY 10016

       A A1 Web Solutions hospeda o site da BURN
Hospede seu site ufológico aqui e ganhe 10% de desconto

            http://www.a1web.com.br/

Brazilian UFO Research Network - http://www.burn.com.br/

"Os incapazes de atacar um pensamento atacam o pensador"
                                         [ Paul Valéry ]

  Duvidas sobre a lista? Ler historico? Como mudar suas
  configurações? Quer sair da lista? Acesse agora mesmo
  nossa seção de Perguntas Frequentes no endereço:

   http://www.burn.com.br/perguntasfrequentes