Ugandans,
Here we go again!!!
Has Uganda all these past years been in a trance??? I wonder who the moron is!!!!
Now everybody is denying having participated in the bring of "no democracy" in Uganda
all these past years. Did we not say hear time and time again that the NRM/NRA had no
national agenda for Uganda???
Now all of  a sudden they say we were just testing leaders out before we can make our
minds on who to vote for. How then could they judge all the previous leaders if they
were still testing out????
Read on.............
--------------------------

I’ve never opposed parties - Mutale
By Jonathan Akweteireho & Ogen Kevin Aliro
Senior Presidential Assistant on Political Affairs, Maj. Roland Kakooza Mutale, has
said that freeing political parties is a great relief to him.
Known as a strong critic of multipartyism, Maj. Mutale explained on 21 February that
he has never opposed political parties per se.
He said that he has only opposed their bad deeds.
“Some of us have been under strain until the report [of the proposal to free
parties] was released or leaked to your editors. I am happy and relieved of this
burden,” Maj. Mutale said on Thursday at Kinogozi in Hoima district.
Maj. Mutale was attending the funeral of Mzee Jeremiah Kiiza, father to Aaron Amber, a
senior member in his Kalangala Action Plan.
He said the country is ripe for political parties because Ugandans are now politically
mature.
Maj. Mutale however said the priority today is not really political parties, but how
to manage the challenges of independence.
Maj. Mutale surprisingly still attacked Local Government Minister Jaberi Bidandi Ssali
for openly calling for the freeing of political parties.
“The same people who advocated for political parties in 1980 are the same doing it
now. I want any person, whether Bidandi or another, to defend the achievements of the
past regimes besides tyranny,” Maj. Mutale said.
Asked if the Movement would transform into a political party if restrictions on
multiparty politics were lifted, the major said it was too early to tell.
On a possible third term for President Yoweri Museveni, Maj. Mutale wished presidents
were constitutionally not limited to two elective terms.
According to him, however, President Museveni would respect the Constitution.
“Emerging from [Idi] Amin’s dictatorship and [Milton] Obote’s fascism, you would
see that we need to test leaders and let the people decide,” he said.
Maj. Mutale warned whoever “leaked” the information about the proposed freeing of
political parties to The Monitor.
“I am not a political moron as alleged. I’m known for taking action and I will
respond appropriately,” the major said.
Meanwhile from Paris, France, leading Movement ideologue and first deputy Prime
Minister, Mr Eriya Kategaya, yesterday also added his voice to the renewed debate on
political parties.
Mr Kategaya, who is also the Minister of Internal Affairs, told Radio France
International that President Yoweri Museveni’s proposal to free political parties
would be debated by the NEC and the national conference of the Movement.
When RFI journalist Billie Okadameri pressed him whether the Movement would be in
place for the 2006 presidential and parliamentary elections, Mr Kategaya said: “The
principles will stay but the current form of the Movement will have to change.”
“At the end of the day it is [still] Museveni’s personal view [The proposal] will
have to go through the NEC and the national conference. But the tendency has always
been to change things and move towards opening up the political space for others The
most important thing is for the NEC and the national conference to decide, ” Mr
Kategaya said on RFI’s Africa Report programme on Friday morning.
But does Mr Kategaya himself support the opening up?
The answer was rhetorical: “What do you do with the people who have never supported
or believed in the Movement since it came? And, what do you do with the many others
now in the Movement who may be joining them?”
When The Monitor later called Mr Kategaya in Paris to clarify his earlier statements
on RFI, the deputy Prime Minister responded through an aide.
“Ask the National Political Commissar (Dr Crispus Kiyonga) because he is the one who
arranges the NEC meetings and the national conferences In any case, I am coming home
tomorrow (22 February) so there is no need to speak from Paris,” Mr Kategaya said.
Mr Kategaya and junior Foreign (International) Affairs Minister, Mr Tom Butime, have
been in Paris to represent the Uganda government at the 22nd France-Africa (formerly
Francophone) Summit.
The gathering has hitherto only had France and her former African colonies. It has now
been expanded to include all African countries – a change that Mr Kategaya has
loudly applauded.
“The problems facing Africa are all the same whether Portuguese, Spanish, English or
French [Africa]. We can now use France to put forward our problems,” Mr Kategaya
told Radio France International.

February 21, 2003 13:22:56

He it is Who created for you all that is on earth...He is the All-knower of everything.
Swaddaq Allahu Al-Adhim.
The United Nations: described the conflict as the worst in the violent history of
northern Uganda.

Michael Bwambuga.