Netters,
Uganda under Museveni is crying for Freedom...........
Bwambuga.

Byanyima blocked at Rwanda border
By Richard M. Kavuma
July 28, 2003

Police were by last evening still holding Ms Edith Byanyima, after she was stopped
from crossing the border into Rwanda.

But the Internal Affairs minister, Dr Ruhakana Rugunda, told The Monitor that Byanyima
was only required to record a police statement in Mbarara.

"I am certain that she is going to sleep in her [father's] house in Mbarara tonight,"
Rugunda said by telephone at 8:45 p.m.

It all started around 2 p.m.

Edith, a sister of Mbarara Municipality MP Winnie Byanyima, was travelling with the
MP's 3-year-old son, Anselm, and her own son, Tau.

Speaking by telephone from the Katuna border post at 4 p.m. yesterday, Edith said that
she was travelling to visit her sister, Ms Martha Byanyima, a lecturer at the Kigali
Institute of Science and Technology.

"I gave in my passport and the officer left the room and started making phone calls,"
she said. "He then went to the car and talked to my children. It is now two hours and
my children are hungry."

The officer reportedly told Byanyima that "the conditions" did not allow her to leave
[the country] but he did not explain the conditions.

"When I insisted to get an explanation, he said I could not leave because I had Anselm
with me," Byanyima said.

Ms Winnie Byanyima could not be reached for a comment last evening but her father, Mr
Boniface Byanyima, said that Edith had been ordered to report to Kabale Police Station.

He said that he knew Edith was going to visit relatives in Rwanda and that she had the
two children with her.

"I now understand that she is on her way to Mbarara Police Station," he said at around
8.15 p.m.

Rugunda had told The Monitor at around 5 p.m. that Edith was stopped because she had
no "custodial authority" to take Anselm out of the country.

He later said that the police were investigating the circumstances under which Edith
Byanyima was travelling with her nephew.

"She will be released [after recording the statement] on police bond so that if police
want her she can be called upon," the minister said.

Anselm's father, the former presidential candidate Col. Kizza Besigye, has lived in
exile since August 2001 when he fled the country, beating government surveillance on
him.

This is not the first time Anselm is getting attention from state authorities.

In December 2001, his mother was furious that security operatives had trailed her son
while the MP was out of the country.
© 2003 The Monitor Publications

--
He it is Who created for you all that is on earth...He is the All-knower of everything.
Swaddaq Allahu Al-Adhim.

Michael Bwambuga.