Surely, Brother J Ssemakula has to be thanked for this incisive article. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Muniini; whistling and drinking?
By J. Ssemakula
September 9, 2003

In his August 4 column titled Northern Killings Bring Out Racism Of Ugandans, Dr Muniini Mulera lamented the loss of nine civilians in Uganda’ s war in the north. The nine were victims of a UPDF gunship.

Muniini went on to tell us how he scanned newspapers worldwide, as well as the Internet discussion groups for signs of empathy and/or outrage for the victims to no avail.

He then concluded that this was a result of the so-called north-south divide, which is apparently responsible for racism in Uganda. He singled out the Baganda as being particularly indifferent to the suffering of their fellow Ugandans, who happen to be non-Baganda.

He went on to imply that we have been silent about this war because it is “them” who are dying, rather than “us”.

This showed me that Muniini is an intellectually dishonest person who seems to be hell-bent on spreading misinformation, maliciously designed to malign the Baganda in particular.

Muniini is shedding crocodile tears over the war in northern Uganda.

The fact of the matter is that the Baganda are just as helpless to stop this carnage as other Ugandans are. Had Muniini read the Ugandan newspapers carefully, he would surely have been struck by the outspokenness of the Baganda against the war.

Kabaka Mutebi II is on record speaking out on this matter, and advocating talks to bring about a peaceful resolution of the conflict. Our Nnabagereka is similarly on record calling for talks to end the carnage. Baganda religious leaders and other significant Baganda are also on record calling for peace talks.

In addition, some Baganda military officers, albeit retired, are on record as being unwilling to fight in this senseless war. Yet countless other Baganda in the UPDF have given their lives in the defence of Acholi civilians against the Kony menace.

Even more telling is the fact that the people of Luwero, who not too long ago were brutalised by some elements of “them”, to use Muniini’s phraseology, offered prayers to end that war.

Contrary to his holier-than-thou pontifications in his column, Muniini is on record, unashamedly calling for continued war in the north on at least one Internet discussion group - UNAANET, which caters mainly for Ugandans in North America.

The archives of UNAANET prove beyond a speck of doubt that Muniini has argued against negotiations with the rebels to bring this war to a peaceful end.