"Kasita ffe twebaka ku tulo"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

18 years of Movt rule
By Mercy Nalugo and Patrick Onyango
Jan 27, 2004

As Uganda celebrated 18 years under the rule of President Museveni and his Movement group yesterday, The Monitor’s Mercy Nalugo and Patrick Onyango went around Kampala streets asking about the best and worst of this government: -

Mr Godfrey Kayongo, boda boda cyclist
Best: We can work the whole night without anybody disturbing; soldiers who used to disturb us no longer do that.

Worst: There are no jobs; even those who went to school are like us. We didn’t go to school and everybody is crying no jobs, no jobs. Industries that used to offer employment to people have all closed down and the few that are remaining cannot accommodate everybody.

Even coffee factories have all been closed and yet coffee is the major cash crop in Uganda. Now where do you expect people to get jobs?

Mr Deo Ssengooba, trader
Best: We have peace and there is nobody harassing us like in the past.

Worst: High taxes have made matters worse for poor Ugandans. The little we get goes to government in form of taxes. We are only praying that government should either remove or reduce some of these taxes.

Mr Derek Nkata, accountant
Best: Museveni has stabilised the economy and brought peace in some parts of the country.

Worst: What we earn is from hand to mouth; you can’t save say Shs 5,000. If you try to save it, it will be in the bank for just three days then you go and you withdraw it.
People came from the village thinking that they would make a better living in Kampala but all have gone back. Things are really bad for a poor man but there are those, of course, who are enjoying themselves to the maximum.

Ms Zabeth Nansubuga, trader
Best: During Museveni’s regime, I have managed to build a house that means there are a lot of developments going on in the country. Soldiers no longer take our properties by force. UPE [Universal Primary Education] has made all our children to go to school.

Worst: I don’t have any problem with the regime.

Mr Tom Kyeyune, spare parts dealer
Best: President Museveni has achieved in restoring peace in the country and checking on the army’s discipline unlike in the past. Here we should really thank him.

Worst: He has not invested much in agriculture yet the cost of living is high. Farmers now produce in plenty but without markets and this is still a challenge.

Mr Edward Sserunjogi, market trader
Best: Government has not done much but the country is peaceful. [Museveni] should in fact be given a third term for that.

Worst: On the other hand, poverty is on the increase and he should find ways of getting people out of it. Let him also throw out corrupt ministers and officials starting from local councils. They are to blame for the increasing poverty because they divert money meant for districts.

Mr James Kalifa, newspaper vendor
Best: There is peace in the country and we are getting on well with our work much as we are getting little money. People didn’t have good houses but many have now constructed wonderful buildings.

Worst: He still has a challenge to end the war in northern Uganda because it has persisted for the last 18 years.

Hajji Ssaka Kagimu, salesman
Best: The NRM government has brought about peace in the country and development. I have constructed my own house and it looks like that of a minister.
President Museveni has fought for people’s rights and also headed the crusade for the fight against HIV/Aids.

Worst: Museveni has not invested in sports. He should also improve on services in hospitals.

Aisha Nansubuga, food seller
Best: We, as women, have achieved much in the last 18 years because we can work and earn a living. Even if we are not earning much but there is peace.

Worst: Museveni has failed to improve the infrastructure especially upcountry.

Mr Kojja, self-employed
Best: Museveni has handled the economy so well in the last 18 years. He has improved the infrastructure and offered free education in primary schools.

Worst: Those are many including the war in northern Uganda. He has also failed to unite people along political lines.

Mr Deo Ssimbwa, teacher
Best: The NRM government deserves a credit in as far as bringing about peace and security are concerned. People can now walk freely even at night.

Worst: Poverty is on the increase and the President should not ban second hand clothes.

© 2004 The Monitor Publications

Mitayo Potosi

MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca