What will he say after Buganda gets federalism?

Em
Toronto
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 4:29 PM
Subject: ugnet_: Mengo warns non-Baganda on land

Mengo warns non- Baganda on land
By Robert Mwanje

May 15, 2004 - Monitor

MENGO - Buganda government has warned on the rampant buying of land in central region, saying it may leave natives homeless. The Katikkiro, Joseph Ssemwogerere (eight), said on Thursday non-Baganda who buy chunks of land in Buganda region with a motive of eliminating natives should be careful since it might create land disputes in future.

“We welcome every tribe here, but those who buy masses of land aiming at blocking Buganda’s future may cause disputes in future,” he said.
He was addressing members of Kiboga Development Foundation (KDF) at his office in Mengo.

He said some foreign tribes (non-Baganda) buy land to fail the kingdom’s development in future and ensure that the kingdom’s natives are left with out land.

He said a bigger part of Kiboga and other districts had been sold to non -Baganda, which will affect the environment and the kingdom’s plans.
Ssemwogerere also blamed the Government for excluding Kampala district from the kingdom, unlike other kingdoms.

“Else where, big towns are part of the kingdom unlike here. Why?” he asked. He asked the Government to return Masaza (counties) headquarters and their land titles to the kingdom for ease of co-ordination of development programmes in Kabaka’s government.

“Most districts are still retaining our buildings and land, I ask the Government to return them,” he added. The delegation donated Shs 100,000 to the kingdom’s education fund and pledged more support to the Kingdom.
The foundation coordinator is Dominick Nanyini who said, “We shall always be there when you need us.”

The function was attended by many Baganda who pledged support to the Buganda kingdom and Kabaka Mutebi.

© 2004 The Monitor Publications