Donors: Forget Empty Rhetoric And Act Now

Email This Page

Print This Page

Visit The Publisher's Site

Sam Akaki
Kampala

Your Excellency the Ambassador/High Commissioner,

Given that your primary role is to oversee and report on the "development partnership" between your country and Uganda, I must, on the outset, put this letter in perspective by citing the introduction to your own "Bible" the United Nation's Human Development Report (2002), "Deepening democracy in a fragmented world", which states:

Subscribe to AllAfrica

"Politics concerns human development. Reducing poverty depends as much on whether poor people have political power as on their opportunities for economic progress. Democracy has proven to be the system of governance most capable of mediating and preventing conflict and of securing and sustaining well-being. By expanding people's choices about how and by whom they are governed, democracy brings principles of participation and accountability to the process of human development."

In this context, the overwhelming majority of Ugandans would be forgiven for thinking that this statement was made with their country in mind.

Thanks to president Museveni's Movement political philosophy of "I am the only one with a vision", political activities were banned in 1986 when he shot his way to power.

Since then, the whole country, particularly the rural areas where 95% of the population lives, has been trapped in conditions of abject and increasing poverty; corruption and conflicts have become instutitionalised and the northern and eastern regions, which form a third of the country, have become permanent war zones where over 1.8 million people, including women, children and other vulnerable people, are living in virtual concentration camps without adequate shelter, food, water medical care or security. To underline the point, on 22nd October, the UN's head of humanitarian affairs, Jan Egeland, "reminded" the United Nations Security Council to do more to end what he called a "litany of horrors" stretching back 18 years.

Thankfully, these "horrors" appear to have attracted your attention too. In the last two years or so, many concerned Ugandans would have noted several news reports attributed to you and your diplomatic colleagues, in which you have expressed concerns not only about the deteriorating poverty and security situations, but also the uncertain political future of the country. As an aide memoir, I chronicle below the summaries of the most eye-catching statements, starting with the earliest:

Led by the Irish Charge d'Affaires, Mr Mairtin O'Fainin, thirteen heads of mission and organisations (Ireland, Britiain, Austria, US, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Japan, Belgium, UNDP, Denmark and France), reportedly "called for dialogue between the Movement and the multipartyists on the opening up of the political space... We are concerned about the need to have more dialogue with the opposition and on the slowness towards the constitutional review," (See. "Envoys Call For Parties Dialogue", The New Vision, 25 May 2002).

The British High Commissioner, Mr Adam Wood reportedly said: "There is a risk if you don't allow change. There might be change through violence. I am conscious of what lies in the past," (See. "British Envoy Advises Parties", The New Vision, 16th January 2003).

The Netherlands Ambassador, Matthieu Peters, reportedly said: "political space should be opened up by 2004 if political parties are to effectively participate in the next presidential and parliamentary elections on level ground... Democracy, human rights, corruption, transparency, accountability and in general the (regional) security situation are issues that concern us, very much. Not only the Netherlands but all donors and especially those who are putting in general budget support,". (See. "Open political space by 2004 - envoy", The New Vision, 25 April 2003)

The US Ambassador Jimmy Kolker reportedly said: "Uganda also has the chance this year, 2003, to put in place the procedures and institutions that will ensure a vibrant political evolution, leading to something Uganda has never known before...a peaceful handover of power from one leader to another,"(See. "US To Help Fight Kony", The New Vision, 7th July, 2003).

The former British Secretary of State for International Development Baroness Valerie Amos reportedly said: "If we have a concern about the amount of defence spending, we are not afraid to suspend our support... Major political reforms will be needed to introduce a multiparty system before the 2006 presidential and parliamentary elections." (See. UK May Cut Aid to Uganda", The East African, 18th August 2003)

The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) chief Mark Malloch Brown, reportedly said: "Uganda's development partners, while recognising the achievements the country has made, now want institutions to manage President Yoweri Museveni's succession... The President (Museveni) has been a father of the nation. He has done so much... Everyone wants to see that institutions are in place to manage succession." (See. "Debate Museveni Succession Say Donors", The New Vision, 13 Nov 2003).

The Belgian ambassador, Mr Adam Keoenraad reportedly said: "Belgium wants Museveni to stand down in 2006... As for me I am opposed to the issue of changing the existing constitutional presidential structure in Uganda just to make one person retain power". (See. "Belgium wants Museveni out", The Monitor, 22 Jan 2004).

The Dutch ambassador, Matthieu Peters reportedly said: "My staff receives information about the existence of safe houses. By nature, safe houses keep changing, but apart from MPs, no one has had access so far... I call upon the Government to close these "so called" safe houses and suspects handed over to the Police or Prisons Service". (See. "Dutch Ambassador unhappy over safe houses", The New Vision, 24th January, 2004).

The Royal Danish Foreign Minister, Mr Thor Pedersen reportedly said: "Denmark has decided to end aid to Zimbabwe, Malawi and Eritrea, and to reduce assistance to Uganda, because it does not want to maintain dictators in power... We have always said that we do not want to support countries which are ruled by dictators... Denmark's international cooperation partners must respect human rights, fight corruption and follow sound business practices," (See. "Denmark Cuts Aid To Uganda", The New Vision, 1 Feb. 2004).

The Danish Ambassador to Uganda Mr Mr. Flemming Pedersen reportedly aid: "Denmark holds the view that the Government of Uganda is ignoring the plunder of DR Congo resources by its nationals," (See. Denmark Cuts Aid To Uganda", The New Vision, 1 Feb. 2004).

The British Under-Secretary of State for Africa, Chris Mullin, reportedly said "What is important is that the process of constitutional change enjoys the confidence of the Ugandan people, the Parliament and the international community,. (See. "UK envoy, Museveni discuss 3rd term", The New Vision, 28 August 2004).

The chairperson of the Development Partners Donors Group, Ambassador Thomas Djurhuus of Denmark reportedly said: "I think we can all agree that free and fair elections are far from a one-day event. We need to ensure that the Roadmap is adhered to so that a level playing field is created for all Ugandans... Some of the challenges as we move towards 2006 will be: Provisions to eliminate intimidation and violence in connection with elections and other election-related malpractices". (See. "Donors warn EC on violence in 2006 polls", The Monitor, 2 Sept 2004).

The British High Commissioner, Adam Wood reportedly said "We are conscious that the period of transition, such as that on which Uganda is now embarking, present a great many challenges... Uganda's partners will be following the process closely. We look forward to seeing the rights enshrined in Chapter IV of the Constitution upheld and the country's reputation enhanced..,." (See. "UK watching transition", The New Vision, 12 Sept 2004)

The Danish ambassador to Uganda, Stig Barlyng, the current chairman of the Donor Democracy and Governance Group (DDGG), has reportedly said: "Consistent with the move to democratic pluralism, it will be essential for the government to create the necessary space for the debate on constitutional change, and a level playing field well in advance of the elections in 2006... There should be separation of the organs of State from the Movement in law and practice, and respect for freedom of speech and association" (See. "Delink NRM from State, donors say", the Monitor, 26th September, 2004).

The German Ambassador, Dr Alexander Muhlen, has reportedly said "the Movement leadership, after about 20 years of undeniable success and worldwide acclaim, should pave the way for handing over power from one generation to another... It has to be subject to fair competition, checks and balances... To start with, the reforms which are under preparation to amend the Constitution should follow the letter and the spirit of the respective legal provisions, including the Constitution itself." (See. "Prepare to hand over power - German envoy", The New Vision, 6 October 2004).

The Norwegian Ambassador to Uganda, Mr Tore Gjos, reportedly said: "The donors are concerned about the future of Uganda's politics and are looking forward to a peaceful transition... Uganda is moving into a very challenging time and friends are concerned that the transition will take place as peaceful as possible." (See. "Donors want smooth 2006 transition", The Monitor, 22 October 2004).

Sam A Akaki

Relevant Links

Director, International Lobby for Reform in Uganda (ILORU)

Chairman, Forum for Democratic Reform (FDC) London