Netters
Here we go again with the EAC.

Uganda EALA MPs left out of consultative talks
CHRIS OBORE

KAMPALA
UGANDA'S members to the East African Legislative Assembly have accused the government of leaving them on the sidelines as efforts to fast track the East African Federation gain momentum.

The MPs, whose term of office expires on November 30 say they have been sidelined unlike their colleagues from Kenya and Tanzania.
According to the MPs, Uganda is not following principles agreed upon in Arusha by the three sister countries (Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania).

"There is a political hill being created in the running of the East African Community. If anybody sidelines East African Legislative Assembly [EALA] MPs in this issue, it can cause a disaster," Maj. Baker Dudu said.

Dudu is the outgoing chairman of the EALA Uganda chapter.
He told Daily Monitor in an interview that EALA has been driving the political course of East Africa; therefore for Uganda to sideline EALA MPs was absurd.
Daily Monitor learnt that Cabinet last week named a 17 member national consultative committee on fast tracking the federation.

The committee has Mr Mike Sebalu as the only EALA member while in Kenya for instance; all EALA members are at the core of the consultative process.
In Kenya, the Ministry of East African Community officially wrote to EALA MPs appointing them to the consultation committee. A letter dated August 10 and signed by PS Peter O.

Ole Nkuraiyia reads in part: "The purpose of this letter is to request you to inform the Honourable EALA members Kenya chapter that they are members of the National Consultative Committee."

Ugandan EALA MPs are angry that while Kenya and Tanzania are treading a unifying political path, Uganda is walking on a divisive and selfish political road.

"We don't know the criteria they are using; other countries have made EALA MPs the core. We hope things will be rectified," said Ms Dora Byamukama, an EALA member. "I was appointed to the committee, I don't know why and how. I am not privy to how the committee was constituted because I just found myself in," said Sebalu.

He said the committee was a subject of Cabinet approval.
Byamukama, however, said they had scheduled a meeting with Eriya Kategya, the Minister for East Africa.

Highly placed government sources said EALA MPs were sidelined because the government fears the influence of opposition EALA MPs like Maj. Gen. Mugisha Muntu (L) and Wandera Ogalo both of FDC

Michael BWambuga wa Balongo