Netters,
  I think I love this piece by my Sister and Friend Ms. Anne Mugisha in the
Observer. Read on...

  Wooing Otunnu doesn't help the North
  One of the oldest rules of courtship is ‘Flattery will get you everywhere.’
Before our very eyes we are witnessing the metamorphosis of Olara Otunnu in the
minds of those who are wooing him from a monster who committed heinous crimes
in Luweero to ‘a symbol of peace in the country,’ as coined by Mr. George
Piwang a key player in the wooing process.
  I am reminded of the intense courtship of my friend Beti Kamya by President
Museveni following the 2001 presidential elections. Had it not been for her
focus on wider interests, Beti would now be rubbing shoulders with Maria
Mutagamba, Dr. Steven Malinga, and others who are rewarded for deserting their
parties and their principles.
  At one point during the courtship, President Museveni reportedly sent his
armed escort to pick Beti and transport her post haste to his presence and then
he proceeded to dangle the carrot of a position in which Beti could use her
great intellect to serve the country.
Luckily, there are some Ugandans who know that the country is sometimes better
served outside of government. Beti chose to serve the hard way and flattery did
not get Museveni anywhere.
  And so it has come to pass that Olara Otunnu is being described as ‘the
highest ranking Ugandan who was almost successful for the highest global career
of any diplomat as the UN head.”
  Otunnu’s efforts to occupy the high office of Secretary General of the United
Nations were frustrated through a carefully orchestrated global campaign led by
President Museveni. Otunnu was denied the opportunity to compete effectively
having been denied the support of his country of origin. And so he finds
himself in that dubious category of ‘almost’ becoming someone.
  But that is old news. Museveni has since metamorphosed from the rebel who
defied the 1985 Nairobi Agreement and the general who tried to ‘crush’ the LRA
for two decades; into the proverbial dove with an olive branch, bringing peace
to the North. Oh, the irony!
  Can you already hear Museveni’s 2011 campaign speech in northern Uganda?
“Kony was almost finishing you until I decided to forget past quarrels and
bring back this fellow, to help us pacify the North.
  Some misguided people who do not want peace and development for Uganda, tried
to exploit the ideological differences between me and my brother, but we
defeated them. I have reconciled with killers and all types of wajinga, how can
I fail to reconcile with my brother Otunnu?
  Now that the Movement has brought peace to northern Uganda and our brother is
here to help us, let us develop the North. I have appointed him Head the
National Oil Commission to ensure that northern Uganda gets its fair share of
proceeds from our natural resources” (wild applause)!
  And so you wonder, what is wrong with that? Genuine reconciliation can only
follow accountability. If Ugandans gloss over 20 years of war without engaging
in a deliberate process to determine what caused it, how it was executed, its
short and long term effects, we shall never heal as a nation.
  Hundreds of reports have been written by local and international
organisations about the havoc that was unleashed on the people of northern
Uganda. The least we expect from leaders who have chosen to forego punitive
justice is that they will seek accountability for their people through an
independent and credible truth and reconciliation process.
  One would expect that leaders from the region would concentrate on seeking
accountability from both the government, which had the primary responsibility
for the security and well being of citizens in the region; and the LRA, which
shattered peace and security in the region and perpetuated the cycle of
violence for two decades.
  The proposal that has been dangled for two consecutive weeks in Sunday
Monitor, that government should take the initiative to approach Mr. Otunnu so
that he can be reconciled with Mr. Museveni so that the former can assume a
role in the Juba peace process turns logic on its head.
  How can a government that is led by Museveni independently and credibly
facilitate a reconciliation process in which Museveni is a party? Why would
Otunnu want to subject himself to such a process? Unless of course these
negotiations are like the ones we have seen in the past where the conclusion is
pre-determined with Museveni emerging as winner and Otunnu the thankful loser.
  George Piwang and Bishop Ochola may serve their people better by pursuing a
genuine, transparent, truth and reconciliation process that focuses on bringing
perpetrators forward to account for and take responsibility for their crimes.
  Involving External Security Organisation in a process that focuses on two
individuals evokes secrecy and a process that is being manipulated behind the
scenes by the same government that is implicated in crimes against humanity in
northern Uganda.
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The author is a Special Envoy, Office of the President, FDC.

  God Bless,

  Michael BWambuga wa Balongo