UGANDA PEOPLES CONGRESS
                         NATIONAL SECRETARIAT
   Plot 8-10, Kampala Road, Uganda House, P.O Box 37047, Kampala. Phone/Fax:
+256-41-236748
                                                     PRESS STATEMENT
                     (Embargoed for release at 11.00 am, 5th September,2007 )

  THE PROMISE TO PROFESSIONALISE THE ARMY HAS BEEN A DISMAL FAILURE
  1.     The Uganda Peoples Congress expresses great concern at how the UPDF
has been managed since the programme of professionalizing the army began way
back in 2003 when the defense review was launched with the funding from British
government. The professionalisation that should have involved acquisition of
better transport equipment and communication gadgets, training of our officers,
construction of modern barracks and improving the welfare of the army has not
yet materialized.
  2.     The recent gruesome accident involving UPDF soldiers and their
families has again exposed the state of affairs in UPDF. The welfare of our
gallant soldiers has been neglected and compromised. UPC wonders whether UPDF
has got a policy on death since it took the intervention of Parliament to urge
the defense Ministry to call for a national mourning, compensate the victims of
the crash and pay the salaries of the dead to their families. Even the names
and the bodies of the fallen officers have not been revealed leading to wrong
distribution of these bodies to families. This proves that UPDF now does not
have a computerized data base of our soldiers.
  3.     The attitude displayed by the leadership of the army and the officials
in the Ministry of defense immediately after the crash is very regrettable,
disheartening and leaves a lot to be desired as far as   the
professionalsiation of UPDF is concerned. The mindset of those steering the
UPDF is the most important asset in the realization of the goals of a truly
modernized, professionalized and a disciplined army subordinate to civilian
authority in a multiparty system of governance.
  4.      The Ministry of defense budget since the early 90's has been
increasing steadily. Inspite of the absence of war in most parts of the country
and the current peace negotiations in Juba between the Government of Uganda and
the Lords Resistance Army, the defense budget continues to skyrocket yet our
soldiers continue to receive poor services even in death. UPC is questioning
how the ministry spends and audits its account. UPC would like to know whether
classified expenditure still exist in UPDF.
  5.     The Uganda Peoples Congress supported the UPDF peace mission
deployment in Somalia on conditions, among others that their welfare would be
guaranteed and their families be compensated and looked after incase of death.
UPC did this owing to the UPDF track record in the Democratic Republic of Congo
where we lost soldiers and the army leadership has never accounted to Ugandans
how many UPDF soldiers perished in the unsanctioned mission.
  6.     The defense and security of our motherland which is constitutionally
invested in UPDF, Police and other security agencies must be handled in a
nationalistic   and humane manner .UPC was very shocked to learn that, the
government of Uganda is engaged in the acts of tribalism, nepotism and
sectarianism in recruiting Ugandans into the police force. UPDF condemns this
practice and calls upon the government of Uganda to set a standard that does
not discriminate any Ugandan.
  7.     UPC calls upon the international community and their agencies that
support the continued professionalisation of UPDF to take keen interest in the
manner in which the army is being managed. Uganda cannot meet its
international obligations successfully like   the Liberia peace mission,
Somalia peace mission  while the welfare of our soldiers and police are
appalling
  8.     UPC further calls upon the people of Uganda to start holding the
government accountable when it comes to defense matters.
  For God and My Country
  Mama Miria Kalule Obote
  President, Uganda Peoples Congress

  By Courtesy of: