Admit it: Fox News has been right all along

 <https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/gary-abernathy/>

By Gary Abernathy <https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/gary-abernathy/>

Gary Abernathy, a contributing columnist for The Post, is a freelance writer
and former newspaper editor based in Hillsboro, Ohio.

Throughout most of southern Ohio, residents who watch cable news are
predominantly glued to one channel: Fox News.

People there don’t watch Fox News to know what to think; they already know
what they think, and they avoid news channels that insult their intelligence
and core beliefs. Yes, Fox News is an echo chamber for the right, but no
more than CNN and MSNBC are for the left, as far as conservatives are
concerned. To be fair, when a Democrat is in the White House, the networks
switch places, with Fox News criticizing every move, and MSNBC and CNN
defending the Oval Office fortress.

But for now, while partisans on the left may quibble, the fact remains that
on the subject of collusion with Russia by President Trump or his campaign,
Fox News was right and the others were wrong. For at least two years, MSNBC
and CNN devoted hour upon hour, day after day, to promoting the narrative
that Trump colluded with the Russians, and that special counsel Robert S.
Mueller III was going to prove it. That turned out to be wrong.

Media analyst Erik Wemple blasts critics who say journalists fueled a witch
hunt against President Trump. (Joshua Carroll, Kate Woodsome, Danielle
Kunitz/The Washington Post)

Along with defending Trump, Fox News hosts such as Tucker Carlson, Laura
Ingraham and, especially, Sean Hannity have been slammed for spending nearly
two years clamoring for an investigation of the investigators, aligning
themselves with the president’s claim of a politically motivated witch hunt.
Most of the media portrayed such accusations as preposterous, designed
merely to divert attention from Trump’s alleged misdeeds.

But then comes Attorney General William P. Barr, dropping a bombshell last
week by declaring during congressional testimony that he thinks
<https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/04/10/ag-barr-says-spying
-did-occur-trump-campaign-reviewing-legality/3421411002/> “spying did occur”
on the Trump campaign in 2016, and that he is looking into it. Democrats and
many in the media immediately blasted Barr for carrying Trump’s water. Barr
soon clarified  <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boAevUmrzI0> his remarks,
saying, “I am not saying that improper surveillance occurred. I’m saying
that I am concerned about it and looking into it.”

Just three weeks ago
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/03/24/who-is-attorney-general-
barr-man-deciding-what-parts-mueller-report-release/?utm_term=.61d15a8825d8>
, before Mueller wrapped up his report, The Post — in a story representative
of mainstream sources at the time — produced a mostly flattering profile of
the new attorney general. “A Justice Department official told The Washington
Post last month that Barr is viewed at the department as ‘a lawyer’s lawyer’
and is seen as less politically minded than his predecessors,” the story
noted.

Timothy Flanigan, a former Barr colleague at the Justice Department,
described Barr’s independent streak, saying, “If Bill starts getting the
tweet treatment, Bill is a tough guy. He’s a tough, tough guy. Not that Jeff
Sessions wasn’t, but I don’t think Bill’s just going to sit there and take
it. I think he would make sure that the president understood that it is not
really a smart thing to be lambasting the attorney general.”

Now, Barr is being cast by the liberal cable channels and others as an
unscrupulous political hack attached to the president’s leash. On CBS
<https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-14/pelosi-says-barr-may-be-
whitewashing-his-mueller-summary> ’s “60 Minutes” on Sunday, House Speaker
Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said that Barr “may be whitewashing” his summary of
the report. Such accusations represent an unlikely turn of events for a
68-year-old professional with an impeccable record and a career more behind
him than in front of him.

For Fox News devotees in southern Ohio and other Trump strongholds, nothing
from the Mueller investigation has provided cause to waver from their
preferred news source. Meanwhile, even regular viewers of CNN and MSNBC must
certainly recognize the straws being grasped to justify sticking with a
conspiracy theory that has been largely debunked — although the expected
release of Mueller
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/mueller-reports-rele
ase-is-expected-thursday-justice-dept-says/2019/04/15/dd44eb02-5f91-11e9-941
2-daf3d2e67c6d_story.html?utm_term=.3d03042029b1> ’s report this week will
probably provide just enough juice for one last effort.

After two years of conjecture from all sides, some hard truths have emerged.
Russia did try
<https://www.wired.com/story/did-russia-affect-the-2016-election-its-now-und
eniable/> to influence the 2016 election. Neither Trump nor his campaign
conspired with Russia. The president’s actions did not rise to criminal
obstruction of justice. And how and why this all began may well turn out to
be the most troubling story of all.

During his confirmation hearing in January, Barr told senators
<https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/15/politics/william-barr-hearing/index.html> ,
“I am not going to do anything that I think is wrong, and I will not be
bullied into doing anything I think is wrong. By anybody. Whether it be
editorial boards, or Congress or the president. I’m going to do what I think
is right.” Observers at the time took Barr’s comments as reassurance of his
independence from Trump, but in hindsight it should be noted that he
mentioned editorial boards and Congress first.

Barr’s career does not paint a portrait of someone who chases tin-foil-hat
conspiracies. There’s enough evidence in the public record to raise valid
suspicions that the FBI’s investigation of the Trump campaign was motivated
not by real concerns about national security, but rather by a loathing of
the candidate. And though new facts may emerge in the full, redacted report,
they won’t change the larger truth. It would behoove serious journalists to
put aside their political biases and delve into a story that might actually
be worthy of Watergate comparisons — even if it includes the painful
admission that Fox News has been right all along.

EM         -> { Trump for 2020 }

On the 49th Parallel

                 Thé Mulindwas Communication Group
"With Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja and Dr. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda is in
anarchy"
                    Kuungana Mulindwa Mawasiliano Kikundi
"Pamoja na Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja na Dk. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda ni
katika machafuko"