Adam Lally wrote:
On 12/30/06, Thilo Goetz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So your proposal is to leave things as they are, except that we call
some of the things that we used to call a CAS a CasView.  We're not
going to touch how indexing works, at least conceptually.  We could
implement this proposal by simply making the CASImpl class implement the
CasView interface and we would be more or less done.

Is that a correct interpretation, or did I miss something?

Pretty much... the basic objective was to split CAS and CasView so it
would be apparent when you were looking at the "whole CAS" and when
you were looking at a view.

To clarify some specific differences between CAS and CasView:

* CasView doesn't have getView(...) methods
* CAS methods for sofa/index access are deprecated but forward to the
"current" view (contrast with the situation today where they just
don't work on the "base" CAS - returning null or throwing exceptions)

-Adam

I wouldn't mind doing this as a first step, but I'm concerned about the future. If we need to support this approach going forward, I would prefer if we could answer the questions about the relation between the CAS and CasViews first: how are indexes in the CAS related to indexes in CasViews? If we're ok with maybe changing this again in the next release, I'm ok with starting like this.

--Thilo