Eddie Epstein wrote:
Having not heard a user request for global variables, I'm a little
fuzzy on the use case.

It usually goes by the name of "singletons", I'm sure you've heard that one.

> However, if I understand correctly what is
suggested is a combination of:

1. a new built in type with two features.

Three, actually.

2. a slight variation on the set index, where instead of silently
ignoring a "duplicate" FS being added to the index, an exception is
thrown.

It's not a variation on a set index, it's just a plain old set index.

3. custom APIs for working with the features of this type.

Yes.  You might call them convenience functions ;-)

Is this right?
Eddie