I found another line in that class where these arguments (which are for
the namespace) are passed in as "", "".  So I think it is a bug.  Also
the javadoc for the impl has this for the first 2 parameters of this method:

Parameters:
    *uri* The Namespace URI, or the empty string if none is available or
    Namespace processing is not being performed.
    *localName* The local name, or the empty string if Namespace
    processing is not being performed.

So I think it's a bug.

-Marshall