Hello,

I'm trying to start a project to integrate parts of unattended into a
pxe/usb boot strapping process that will automatically deploy windows
install chef-client and begin managing windows boxes with chef.

The initial code is up at github.

https://github.com/passionengine/ii/wiki

Long term we should be able to boot an entire infrastructure from a
smartphone or simple network device and create usb boot sticks for anything
that doesn't do pxe booting.

It will take bare metal machines (no os, no virtualiziation) and build them
up with Ubuntu, XP, and/or Vista configured with a chef-client to keep them
maintained centrally via a chef based infrastructure.

I have some bootstrap scripts to get ubuntu 11.04 to setup the chef-server
and chef-client on your development rig.

https://github.com/passionengine/ii/tree/master/infrastructure

The unattended specific stuff is here for now:

https://github.com/passionengine/ii/blob/master/site-cookbooks/unattended/recipes/default.rb
https://github.com/passionengine/ii/tree/master/site-cookbooks/unattended/templates/default

You just drop isos and driver zips into the right place and it handles
populating the install share.

I'm thinking about moving away from a samba based install share at some
point and replacing it with http/https.

This would allow us to serve up install media from a smartphone, or anything
that might not run samba.

I'm hoping to pull a demo together by mid-september and present at Software
Freedom Day weekend (Waikato on Saturday and St. Mary's on Sunday).

I'll probably be asking a few questions over the coming weeks/months and
would appreciate any counsel and direction anyone is willing to offer.

Cheers,
-chris