with respect to the following message: your format fails because even
though you've created the partition you haven't marked it active. use
fdisk to mark the 2gb partition active and reboot. choose to make no
changes to the partition and choose YES to format.

I'm in early stages of testing unattended on a laptob with an e100b
network
 interface.
 (I use the e100b image)
 I've partionned the disk to have a 2Gb C:, but format fails with
 Call to int 0x21, 0x440d 0x60, failed error 0f.
 Do I need to use this specific format command (a GNU one) or may I replace
 it by the 6.20 MS version?
 more generally, may I rebuild the boot diskette using a different Dos
 version?