Nicholas Young wrote:
If I use the whole C: option it works correctly so the problem should not be
hardware related.

Has anyone had success in a similiar situation. I believe the problem is
that the C: is not been created correctly so the format fails and the
windows swap cannot be created. My next test is to manually setup the system
and then attempt to do no partitioning and just format the C:, this is
currently been setup, and I will post results of this when it is done.

We use the Unattended system to install our lab machines, so we have 2 windows partions (for different flavors) and 1 linux partition. I bet your problem is that you are not making the windows partion the first "active" partition on the disk before you try to install Windows.

We install both window's first, then install the linux. The procedure is:
* fdisk the disk into the partitions we want to use (6gig win, 10gig win, 6gig linux, 2gig linux swap, rest of drive for a second linux partition. I think there is also a boot partition in there.)
* We use this "fdisk command" (all one string, no linebreaks):
'fdisk /pri:6000;fdisk /pri:10000;fdisk /pri:300 /spec:131;fdisk /ext:100,100;fdisk /log:6000 /spec:131;fdisk /
log:2000 /spec:130;fdisk /log:100,100 /spec:131'
* the $post_cmds string is:
'fdisk /delete /pri:1;fdisk /prio:2000;fdisk /activate:1'
* Then we install windows via unattended (we are still using 3.5)
* To install the 2nd windows partition we use this fdisk command:
'fdisk /delete /pri:2;fdisk /prio:2000;fdisk /activate:2'
* That activates the second partition, and so windows thinks that "c:" is the second (10gig) partition.
* At this point, you can only boot to the 2nd windows install, so we install linux (and grub).
* Our menu.lst looks like this:
title Windows partition 1
unhide (hd0,0)
hide (hd0,1)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive
savedefault
title Windows partition 2
unhide (hd0,1)
hide (hd0,0)
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1
makeactive
savedefault
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-30.9rbt)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-30.9rbt2 ro root=LABEL=/ console=ttyS0,9600n8 console=tty0
initrd /initrd-2.4.20-30.9rbt2.img
savedefault
* As you can see, grub does "makeactive" and hides/unhides the appropriate partitions to make windows see the C: drive properly.

This system works pretty well. If you need to reinstall one of the windows, you can just recreate the proper partition, and make it active. Then install windows (blowing away grub from the MBR of the disk). Then, you boot to a grub floppy (although we just netboot a memdisk image of a grub floppy), and reinstall grub to let you boot any of the 3 operating systems.

Jordan