I too am seeing this message from the 4.4b linuxboot cd.

After overriding defaults, hitting enter to keep the install source the
same, putting in my username and password

Trying smbmount \\ntinstall\install /z -o ttl=600000,username=installer,ro
connection to ntinstaller failed
SMB connection failed
*** smbmount did not work
*** Trying mount.cifs \\ntinstall\install /z -o
ttl=600000,username=installer,ro
mount error: could not find target server.  TCP name ntinstall/install not
found
rc=4
*** Failed to mount /z. Retrying...

I tried your suggestion

Z_PATH='\\ntinstall\install'
  smbmount "$Z_PATH" /z -o "ttl=600000,username=guest,ro"

and received the message

Connection to ntinstall failed
SMB connection failed

The Unattended 3.5 dos boot cd works with this same machine using the e100b
driver.

"Tft Tco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> so i was checking the script, it actually does the following command:
> smbmount "\\myserver.local\install" /z -o "ttl=600000,username=geust,ro"

Not exactly.  The master script does:

  smbmount "$Z_PATH" /z -o "ttl=600000,$mount_opts"

...which is not the same.

A more accurate manual simulation would be:

  Z_PATH='\\ntinstall\install'
  smbmount "$Z_PATH" /z -o "ttl=600000,username=guest,ro"

Assuming this still works, please try:

  more /z/dosbin/install.pl

If that fails, we can debug from there.  If it succeeds, then we have
a bit of a mystery.

In the next release, we will produce slightly better diagnostics for
these sorts of failures.

 - Pat

John A. Edmiston
Information Systems Analyst