Thanks for your hints. You are right, the Bios is pretty old
(Award 4.51PG of 1995). "fdisk /info /tech" worked with the
Freedos fdisk (not with the MS-DOS 6.22 or Win95/2 fdisk).
Unfortunataly it reported slightly other values than the bios
(620/127/63 vs. 622/128/63).

I tried both ways:
1) Letting parted write the mbr it figured out (same as bios)
2) Partitioning the disk with (first freedos, then Win95/2)
fdisk
as you described without mbr rewrite.

In both cases I used the linux boot prompt with "unattended
hda=622/128/63" and answered "continue/ignore" to the question
about the different partitioning schemes.

None of this worked for me. Is there something else I could try?

 - Jo